Stefan's Trouble in paradise

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just a quick personal update: As many of you know, I had left a secure academic position in Germany to take on the challenge of a similar position in a new field in Hawaii. While I know I did not perform at my optimum because of continued health issues over the past few years, I expected to apply for tenure this or next year and continue my career here in Hawaii. A few days ago I found out that the Dean does not support my tenure plans and - totally unexpected - decided not to renew my contract. This would mean that I now have a year to find a new job. I have always perormed in the top quarter of my professional field, so this is a totally new experience for me and probably the most difficult time in my professional life. Jobs at that level are hard to find, and I have no idea what will happen over the next year and where I will end up. Next year I will be turning 50, and I really did not expect to come into such a situation at this time in my life. I know, many of you may have gone through insecure times in your jobs, but it's a first for me, and it's always harder if it concerns yourself...

I decided to post this because many of you have become virtual or real friends over the past few years. And I also wanted to mention it because I am still sitting on a pile of handle orders. This whole decision process regarding my future happened over the past few weeks, and I just had a hard time focusing on woodworking while my professional career was at stake. I hope you understand. I will try to get more things done as soon as I am up for it, but I need to prioritize on the job situation first. I am looking into appeal options and will talk to the union, bit it's looking very dim. Finding a way to sleep at night wouldn't be bad either...

Thanks,

Stefan

Stefan, I'm sorry to hear this. If your Dean was an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick! (thanks, Garth)

I, and I'm sure many others here, have been down this road. But it sounds like you have an excellent track record, and just need to ride it out until the right thing comes up.
Rather then getting depressed, this would be an excellent opportunity to immerse yourself in your handle work without the burden of worring about the tenured position. Find your peace in your work and concentrate on your health.
I'm sure this sounds cliche, especially to some in your field, but it's the best this old dog can give ya.
You have a lot of friends here. Don't forget that.

Dave

PS. Source Naturals St. John's Positive Thoughts. Bourbon chaser. Helps me get some sound sleep. In fact, last night I slept through an earthquake.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it, Stefan. Academic careers sure can be a bite in the ass sometimes.

I'm sure it'll turn out better than you think! I'm willing to bet next year is going to be very eventful for you.

What field do you teach in? I can check at the school I teach at (Augustana College) to see if there will be any openings. Western Illinois isn't exactly Hawaii :)

I really wish you the best Stefan. The academic world can be fickle these days it seems. A professor friend of mine dodged a bullet and left a program before they shuttered the whole thing. Then he got tenured at a small college but chose to leave it because he didn't like how things were going. We all love your handles, but more than that I hope you land in a good place.

k.

stefan....hope everything works out for the best.....ryan

I'm feeling for you my friend and hoping that the future brings you an even better life than the one you've been leading.

PS - I despise the American workplace.

Stefan,
so sorry to hear that, hope you find a new job soon.

oh man... that sucks. I hope you dont have too much trouble finding a new job. Best of luck to you.

you should look for schools in LA ;)

I am very sorry to hear that Stefan. I can only wish you the best in finding another open position in your field and have faith that everything will work out for you. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for your support, guys. With my background, I could probably look at Psychology, Public Health and Behavioral Medicine departments, and I will have to look nationally and internationally. I guess I will need this week to process the whole thing and then start looking around.

Stefan

Stefan:

I too am very sorry to hear that. I hope the best for you and that you can find another position soon.

I have friends who attended both the UCLA School of Public Health and Tulane University School of Public Health. From what I understand, Public Health schools have seen increases in attendance. I certainly hope you can find a position that fits you both professionally and personally.

I wish the best of luck to you.

My father has been in academics forever and it seems dealing with deans and trustees is always problematic.
I have no doubt you will end up in a better place. Best of luck on the hunt!

While many of us cannot help you directly, you will surely find assistance and support here in whatever fashion that we can provide. There is a good road ahead for you, Stefan. You can find it.

Best of luck. Stay in Hawaii if you can. We left... and I miss it every single day! Any job in Hawaii is better than most jobs everywhere else.

Sorry to hear Stefan.
but a lot can happen in a year.
stay positive .
:happymug:

Stefan, you're a very smart and talented guy. You offered nothing but support and advice when I came asking and you'll get the same in return from all of us, should you need it.
You'll land on your feet - often these forced life changing situations result in bigger and better things. Stay positive and it WILL work out.
Best of luck!

Thanks for your support, guys. With my background, I could probably look at Psychology, Public Health and Behavioral Medicine departments, and I will have to look nationally and internationally. I guess I will need this week to process the whole thing and then start looking around.

Stefan

Psych & Behavioral Medicine. Man...we seriously need you over here! :headbonk:

Seems like it's the season for losing jobs huh? Hope it works out well for you man..

Stefan,
humidity in NY is not as bad as in Hawaii, but I would not call it a paradise, though NY has much to offer.

M

Although we have only met face-to-face once, I consider you a friend. I wish for you only good and I sincerely hope the next door that opens will be the best one.

Hawaii's loss will be anothers gain!

Maybe you can find something here in NC and you could share the shop with me. That would be a hoot!

Stefan

I have to go to my office today, so I'll see if I can talk with someone and see if there is anything available here.

Back