• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Chuka Bundle - All-In-One Learning Package

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

echerub

Reaction score
The idea behind this Mega-Bundle
A lot of us go through a lot of knives to learn how one maker is different from another, how one type of steel performs compared to another, and just what works best for us. It can be a long and involved process - especially the part about waiting for individual items of interest to pop up on the BST!

So... what I'm doing now is creating bundles for the knives that I'm selling. This benefits you in three ways:

1. You get a broad selection of knives *in one go* that lets you do immediate comparisons between makers, steels, etc.
2. You save a whole lot of money compared to buying brand new, particularly as prices continue to rise
3. You save a whole lot of time and *stress* hunting and competing on BST for the knives you want

How does this benefit me?

1. Packaging for shipping is a *lot* easier for me this way
2. I cry a little less when I see how much shipping costs
3. And yes, I get to fill in some of the financial hole I dug for myself

I'm going to offer different bundles - 2 single-bevel bundles, 2 double-bevel bundles, and the chuka bundle.

This is what's in the chuka bundle:

Chuka Chuka Chuka Chuka...
1. Sugimoto white-2 220mm (#6) - This one chuka is often recommended when folks start asking about their first high-quality chuka, but there's nothing beginner about this one. It's a quality chuka with no frills, but a very comfortable oval-barrel handle. The edge profile has a bit more curve to it than the others, but it is not overly curvy. Only used a few times.

2. Tadatsuna ginsanko 220mm - A very traditional chuka in stainless ginsanko. I haven't used it since I got it.

3. Itinomonn white-2 215mm kurouchi - A heavier slicing chuka, like a #7. Beautiful handle. A great way to see how a #6 standard compares to a #7 heavier slicer - just make sure you don't use it to chop through bones! Only used a few times.

4. Hattori FH VG10 220mm - The "original" high-end chuka for North American chuka fans; VG10 done right, like no other craftsmen, with a wonderful handle and storage/display case. This was part of the FH series, designed in consultation with the online knife community from many years back. From the sounds of it, these won't be in production for too much longer - they take a lot of effort to make, and Hattori is getting closer to retirement. I have not used this particular one (because I have another that I'm keeping) since I received it.

5. Yoshikane Zensho V2 220mm - One of my absolute favorite chuka - but I only need to keep 1 of 'em! - and they don't make 'em anymore. I know another KKF member who also finds them to be a favorite. See why this is the one some of us chuka fans say this is *the* chuka to get... if you could still get one... and then decide if you'd rank it the same way! This is brand-spankin' new

6. Takeda AS (Classic) 265mm w saya - This is a beast at first sight, but graceful when you pick it up in your hand. It was a custom job from a number of years ago, so it is in every way a "classic" Takeda before there were any questions or concerns about quality control. Larger than standard size, and comes with a maplewood saya. I've used it a number of times, but one of the great things about Takeda Classics is that it looks just as good as new :)

How Much Is It Gonna Hurt?

So that's 6 great chuka in this bundle. You get to compare great makers and great steels, all in one go. You get to explore for yourself the differences between blade styles and handle styles. Plus, 2 of these knives you're not likely to ever see available again - the Yoshikane Zensho because JNS/Yoshikane doesn't make them anymore, and the Takeda custom 265mm.

This bundle is perfect for anyone who's starting to get serious about investigating the world of chuka / chinese cleavers. You can honestly end your search right here, right now and compress years of searching and testing into one moment. I know we're a bunch of enablers here, but this is truly an extended educational journey all wrapped up into one package for you.

The pricetag for this bundle is gonna hurt a bit - but it'll hurt a lot less than buying these separately, especially over time as as retail and second-hand prices continue to increase. I'm asking USD$2000 all-in for a lucky new owner in North America. If elsewhere in the world, we can discuss shipping. If you're Canadian, Interac EMT is preferred over Paypal.

Please let me know if you have any questions. If you are seriously considering purchasing this awesome package, send me a PM and I'll get some pics to you after I take 'em this Saturday.

Hi

I'm Adam. New to forum. Have you published double bevels you plan on offering Thanks for posts.

Christmas must have made all of us poor. would you split these into two groups like you have the single bevels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back