Choosing a yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPoirot

Reaction score
Singapore.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Yanagiba

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese, chosen for aesthetics. If there's a case for Western, i can change.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
270mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
See note.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Sashimi, nigiri sushi, maybe boneless protein.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Nil.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Point, for the yanagiba.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slice only. Am familiar with the *** Knife Society videos.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Nil

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Nil

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Definitely opened professionally.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I don't mind poor retention as i don't see myself using this that often.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood, from IKEA.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
I have a 1k and 3k Naniwa stone, planning on getting a 6k king stone. BUT, haven't used them before.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, sharpening is what got me into this mess (of wanting more knives) in the first place.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I have shortlisted 2 knives, though i can still be convinced to go other directions.

1. Gesshin Uraku White #2 270 from JKI
2. Korin Shiro-ko kasumi White #2 270 from Korin.

To be honest, i do prefer a stainless steel knife, since i live in a humid place, and i envision myself using my yanagiba ~10 times a year, but i shortlisted W2 because there doesn't seem to be a lot of information with regards to the budget SS yanagibas available in the market now.

Will i be compromising on anything if i went with a SS over a W2? (eg the GESSHIN STAINLESS DAMASCUS 270MM YANAGIBA)

I've ruled out a number of SS Yanagibas because i was skeptical of their quality. Eg, the Fujiwara FKV series, Tojiro MV Series, Korin Stain Resistant etc. Was i too hasty in doing that?

I chose those 2 vendors mainly cos they help open up the knife.

Thank you in advance.

I can't really help much with a single bevel other than to say that it's a wise choice to have it professionally opened and therefore your choices of vendors should work well for you. I believe that if anyone should own a stainless yani that you would be a good fit--light use in highly humid environment. You always have the option of oiling a carbon blade lightly before storage and that may also work for you.

I would definitely suggest in this case that you contact the vendors...I have purchased from both;they are reputable and trustworthy. I have asked for advice only from Jon at JKI (numerous times) and can say that he will not steer you toward anything that won't work for you.

As to stones, you may want to go 6k or more depending on the steel you choose--again this would be a good question for the vendors. I use roughly 5-6k finishes on most of my gyutos. The steel you choose may come into play here, but I don't know enough to know :biggrin:

Cheers

Almost forgot the most important thing--Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks!

Well, to be honest i sent him an email early this week, but have yet to hear back from him.

Though there's a chance i did it incorrectly.

So i thought i'd stop lurking and just ask you all.

Thanks!

Well, to be honest i sent him an email early this week, but have yet to hear back from him.

Though there's a chance i did it incorrectly.

So i thought i'd stop lurking and just ask you all.

you probably didnt mess up... i just have abotu 150 e-mails in my inbox right now and cant answer them all that quickly. Sorry for the delay.

The Gesshin Uraku white #2 270mm is about as good quality that you can get in that price range. Sharpening Yanagiba Carbons is fun once you learn it.

If just cutting fish will not patina much at all. Just clean, dry well & oil after use. At best teaches you a little knife care for a fine blade. The W #2 steel gets razor edge. I have sharpened a few stainless Yanagi's like the Shun, not the same quality at all compared to my carbon yanagiba's.

Sorry for the thread drift...

Can you elaborate on "opening up" a new knife? What do you mean there?

Single bevels require special sharpening work, and then us normals can just follow that when sharpening. If you're new at single bevels, definitely buy from a vendor that does this or you're looking at more cost sending it to someone to open.

Gesshin Uraku was my first choice since I've never had a bad knife out of the 3 I bought from Jon, but the 15% Korin discount in December plus a gift card got me the Korin Shiro-ko kasumi White #2 300mm at an absurdly low price. I'll say their sharpening is flawless and I have no reservations recommending it.

Years ago I bought the Korin Shiro Ko Hongasumi 270mm. It came in a Suisin box. Cut a huge amount of fish with that blade. Now the 270mm is 335.00 + 15% off. The Korin Shiro Ko Kasumi is 205.00 + 15% off.

Back