Crazy(?) idea for chili with bison sirloin steaks....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
OK, trying to figure out what I can do here. I'm thinking:

caramelize onions, saute garlic, fry 1/2 of paste of homemade chili powder...add rotel, add stock, add dry black beans, add remainder chili powder. Cook in pressure cooker for 1 hour, until beans tender. Cool. cube bison into .5-1" cubes. portion sauce into vac bags, add raw bison cubes. Sous vide @ ?? (125F??) for ?? (3 hours??). That way the lean meat won't get over cooked, but will have time at temp to merge with the flavors of the chili.

Is this just a crazy idea?

Yep. But you're allowed to be crazy, it's almost a prerequisite for being here. (I would brown/sear the bison chunks) (And maybe go to 130+F)

Pictures when you're done.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/20945-Comfort-winter-foods-with-lean-meat

I remember in the above thread you mentioned your roommates need to restrict intake of (saturated) fats and sodium. The Rotel is extremely high in sodium, as are many canned products. My best advice on the whole low-fat, low-sodium thing is to read every label. You never know where sodium is hiding. As for fat, ground turkey breast is often 5% fat while ground turkey thighs can be closer to 40%. Some canned tomato products have loads of salt and some have none at all.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the fun part since I have no experience with sous vide cooking.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/20945-Comfort-winter-foods-with-lean-meat

I remember in the above thread you mentioned your roommates need to restrict intake of (saturated) fats and sodium. The Rotel is extremely high in sodium, as are many canned products. My best advice on the whole low-fat, low-sodium thing is to read every label. You never know where sodium is hiding. As for fat, ground turkey breast is often 5% fat while ground turkey thighs can be closer to 40%. Some canned tomato products have loads of salt and some have none at all.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the fun part since I have no experience with sous vide cooking.

thanks for the observation! You are correct, of course. I did check the label and decided that's OK as it's almost the only sodium that will be in the dish...with 1lb of dry beans and 2 lbs of bison. So I think once it nets out to a per-serving amount, it's ok. I was SHOCKED at the difference in sodium levels between products though. Regular stock was about 6X low-sodium stock (570 vs 70).

Yep. But you're allowed to be crazy, it's almost a prerequisite for being here. (I would brown/sear the bison chunks) (And maybe go to 130+F)

Pictures when you're done.

Good catch on the sear! 130F? anybody else like 130? higher? Lower?

Back