SMALL NY strip roast

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffG

Reaction score
Any recommendations or thoughts on a 2# NY strip roast? I am thinking I should just steak it and cook but wondering if any ideas if cooked whole.

thank you,

Jeff

Steaks are always good, however if I were to leave it whole I would make a good rub and marinade for it.

First just olive oil and Worcestershire until it comes to room temp the rub it

Probably something like, garlic salt, thyme, paprika, cayenne, white pepper, black pepper and let that **** a while.

Just pop it in about 350 until 120 in the center or however you like your meat done, I would cook atop some onions, garlic, aromatics and maybe some beer, stock, or wine to keep from drying out.

Then turn that into a Demi or jus of some kind.

+1 to steaks. too small to roast, too tasty to stew.

+1 on the 200 F oven, although I'd pull it when it gets to temperature, crank the oven up to about 450, and when the oven is hot stick it back in to crisp/brown the outside a bit--only takes a few minutes, so watch it. That's how we cook NY strip roasts. Love them--no waste at all, and wonderfully tender. Takes about 30-40 minutes/lb in the 200 oven (although ours is convection, YMMV.) I've cooked some smaller roasts that way--definitely as small as 3 lbs, maybe smaller. I mix up garlic powder, salt, pepper, ground bay leaves, allspice, and celery salt and mix in some olive oil to make a paste, and slather it all over the roast the morning or night before cooking, then seal it up in plastic wrap and let those flavors soak into the meat. Tastes good and the slow roast makes the house smell great.

Latest posts

Back