Thanks for the Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowyFox

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice on knives. My family surprised me with getting me a 6 piece knife set of the Tojiro DP, and I got to try them out on my birthday (yesterday). I'm having to get used to it, with how much sharper it is, and by how different it is than how I've been having to use knives.

I'm so happy with them and I think one day, I may try out the suggestion of the Suisin Inox at some point, but I am glad I have something workable.

Great to hear! All you have to worry about now is keeping them sharp.

IMO, you should go for a clear upgrade rather than a semi-lateral move. Look at something like the gesshin ginga/kagero or suisin inox honyaki when you're ready to get another knife.

IMO, you should go for a clear upgrade rather than a semi-lateral move. Look at something like the gesshin ginga/kagero or suisin inox honyaki when you're ready to get another knife.

Yup, and you can find them right down that hole...yeah, that one right there...just look a little closer, their in there...oh damn, he fell in!:wink:

Be well and see you on B/S/T,
Mikey

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice on knives. My family surprised me with getting me a 6 piece knife set of the Tojiro DP, and I got to try them out on my birthday (yesterday). I'm having to get used to it, with how much sharper it is, and by how different it is than how I've been having to use knives.

I'm so happy with them and I think one day, I may try out the suggestion of the Suisin Inox at some point, but I am glad I have something workable.

Honestly, you can go one of two ways now - you can chase the dragon, and keep buying new knives, or you can use these for a long, long - and I mean long - time and be happy with a really good set of knives. From there, you can just get a couple stones to properly maintain them, some sayas to protect them, and a roll/bag to lug them around with you, and you are set. Tojiros are very good knives and you obviously have a cool family. :)

Congrats!

I agree with Lefty on this...you can do as many of us have and tumble down the rabbit hole, or you can learn to enjoy and use what you've got and grow with it. I don't really have any treasured knives now and sometimes can't even pick which of my many redundant knives to use for basic tasks. There's a sort of amusement in that, but sometimes I do think my collection should be stripped down to like five knives so I can get more from each of them.

So glad you're happy with your new blades! Use them, enjoy them and if you ever want to peak into the rabbit hole just don't stare at all the pretty colors and get distracted:)

No need to fall down the rabbit hole. This forum will pull you in on its own accord. It's best not to struggle and just accept it :)

Oh, I'm already fighting the urge to drop further down the rabbit hole and buy a good boning knife. Big problem will be saving my Christmas money. I got $500 for Christmas, and I've got $300 in my savings account, and I'm definitely trying to make sure I don't spend it all on kitchen stuff before the new year roll around.

Latest posts

Back