Bison Chili, Sous Vide

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
A little Mario Pron
16074429845_43833da66f.jpg

Caramelize the onions
15886990148_1a56acec59.jpg

Dried Black beans, Homemade Chili powder, stock, and ro-tel
16074426165_048e33786d.jpg

Into the PC for 1 hour at full pressure
16048615746_4d53439b40.jpg

Cube the bison, with a little DTN Pron
15888335999_6dbebb2536.jpg

Brown the cubed bison (the debuyer needs re-seasoning, a house guest hosed my seasoning).
16048620396_6b4f476d1f.jpg

Deglaze the pan with some red wine
15454760133_0a8eebcc62.jpg

Add cubed, browned meat to the cooled sauce
15886982328_be8fc9b661.jpg

Bagged up and ready to go
16073718602_4133a0ca4c.jpg

Into the bath at 133F for 6 hours
16074419255_aee0b02c58.jpg

More once I get it out of the water bath and get it plated.

Looks great, Danny...but why not just do the whole thing in the pressure cooker, rather than add the sous vide step? Not criticizing; just curious as I don't own either.

fair question. This is experimental for me. Trying to figure out how to do a braise with very lean meats. This is kinda like using beef tenderloin. I think an hour at PC temps would render the meat inedible, as would the 3+ hours simmer on the stovetop (instead of the PC). Hoping the low temp of the SV will allow enough time for flavors to marry, but not overcook the bison.

The final product. The bison was still pink and tasty...and mostly tender. Might go a few degrees hotter next time. The entire product was certainly satisfactory. Entirely acceptable for what to me is completely new territory, both Bison and chili sous vide.

15906063017_3981232470.jpg

Wow Danny , came out great! Would you try hotter or longer next time?

Interesting results. Looks good. What cut of bison was it? I won't be happening upon any over here at the local market in France but I'm trying to get my head around the type of meat involved. I've no idea but I was imagining something that would be sinewy, tough and need long, slow cooking. Your results have me confounded! Looks delicious!

Interesting results. Looks good. What cut of bison was it? I won't be happening upon any over here at the local market in France but I'm trying to get my head around the type of meat involved. I've no idea but I was imagining something that would be sinewy, tough and need long, slow cooking. Your results have me confounded! Looks delicious!

This was a sirloin cut, so there are multiple muscles involved, and therefore connective tissue....but not much, and very very little fat. That's why I went the sous vide route. keep the temp low so the lean meat doesn't overcook and squeeze out all the water, but high enough so that the enzymatic reaction needed to break down the connective tissue can still take place. I went with 6 hours at 133F...next time I'd go probably 10 hours as there were a couple of stringy bits still.

This looks like a chili I would eat.

Do you have a cryovac? I just have a regular old food saver. Have had some terrible luck with meat that is too juicy, so haven't even tried using liquid in the bag.

Note: I am aware of the trick of freezing liquid and then inserting into the bag, but curious how you did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a wonderful thing.

Yes...part of the time was saving money...but more than that it was getting myself to SPEND it! Now that I've had it for 6 months or so, I have zero regrets. would replace it in a heartbeat. Exactly the same story as my smoker.

Zwiefel, have you tried making pickles in your vacuum chamber?

How did that go (if you've tried it)?

I tried to quick pickle radishes using some leftover pickle brine, and a vac bag. I wasn't too impressed with the result....but that's not a great combination...and now I have the mason jar attachment, which should work better so this is on my list again.

Back