Quantcast
Passarounds - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Passarounds

That one (180mm) will go to only one person - Steve. That will be my first order project, as soon as I receive a feedback from a couple of guys who will be getting one of the knives I just made. The 180mm I made a while back, I am a bit hesitant to do anything with, as I changed some things in heat treatment, and like the current result better.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

First, decide the purpose of the pass around. Is it for you to get feedback on your design or for marketing to let prospective buyers sample your goods? I've seen both types here.

Decide how long it should last. My guess is not more than 12 weeks if you just want feedback. Otherwise, if you incorporate design changes in your new stuff, the pass around knife may no longer be representative of your work.

Keep the duration short, 3-4 days per person. Allowing for shipping time, that would let you get 12-15 people in a 12 week pass around.

Personally, I put myself in the prospective customer category. I'm interested in the profile and grind of your knives as they resemble some of the Japanese favorites, but are executed in steels I like better.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

No doubt, 3-4 days per person is more than enough to get a feel for a knife, especially if most people are potentially using it for 6-8 hours a day. I can't wait to read some reviews.

Thanks guys. Now that I have something to work with, I will give it a thought and come up with specifics.

I will have had some feedback from a few pro guys before the pass-arounds go out, so any changes will be incorporated (if needed) into the pass-arounds.

I guess I would like to know how my knives fair generally. It's hard to please everybody, but it should give me an idea.
    I look for honest (no patronizing please) feedback, as it is essential for my improvement as a maker.

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Stupid border! I want in, if at all possible!
    Lefty, if your in T.O and Marko is willing (I know I haven't been on the forum long) I'm sure me and you could find a way to help pay for shipping here and back.

I'd definitely be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I look for honest (no patronizing please) feedback, as it is essential for my improvement as a maker.
    Oh don't worry about that. I have been considered too impartial, if anything.

I really look forward to reviews.
    I also hope for one to Norway, to darkhoek for a complete test of sharpening stones for the ultimate edge.
    However Im putting in a order at you now Marko, just to be sure to be on your list when you start to sell.

Im sure your knives will preform out of this world and I also know you are not going to sell seconds.
    I hope JohnnyChance is the first to get your knives. I like his reviews so much that I actually consider letting he be the first and only (next to me and my norwegian friends) to try out both my Pierre and Burke. I also like to see Colin on your list of the passaround - his opinion means a lot to me. I I where you I would put down a list of 5 persons to do the big testing. Let them have the knife for a week each, and get feedback from them.
    Im sure you can find the ones you would like to send this knife to. Have em make 5 different threads and name them "users name - review" ie "Colins - review".

I cant wait to see the reviews and with that said - Im ordering a complete set of knives from you - sending you a pm.

The problem with pass arounds is that alot (I changed that from most) of people don't have a grasp on how a knife should perform.

You have to be vigilant in filtering out the chaff.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The problem with pass arounds is that alot (I changed that from most) of people don't have a grasp on how a knife should perform.

You have to be vigilant in filtering out the chaff.
    I totally agree with that, assuming you are trying to make the best possible knife for the best possible users(which many do!).

However, there are, in this world, a small few users that know well and love the super high performance knives, and I think it is more prudent to demo the knife to a target market--do you want it to appeal to small time line cooks, hot shot chefs, home cooks, etc? The knowledgeable users you referenced are certainly a market, but the issue should be approached from a certain perspective.

If you want to do your take on Masamoto, as your other thread suggests, I advise doing what Salty said and sending on to people who really know their customs and have mucho experience with great cutlery. That would certainly exclude myself!

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I totally agree with that, assuming you are trying to make the best possible knife for the best possible users(which many do!).

However, there are, in this world, a small few users that know well and love the super high performance knives, and I think it is more prudent to demo the knife to a target market--do you want it to appeal to small time line cooks, hot shot chefs, home cooks, etc? The knowledgeable users you referenced are certainly a market, but the issue should be approached from a certain perspective.

If you want to do your take on Masamoto, as your other thread suggests, I advise doing what Salty said and sending on to people who really know their customs and have mucho experience with great cutlery. That would certainly exclude myself!
    Back when the DTITK's first came out, I remember there was general excitement but it was tempered. Then Salty did a couple of vids and wrote a few words about the prototype and all of the sudden, everyone and their mother absolutely had to have one. I'm not even close to kidding. I hardly even remember anyone else reviewing that knife.

+ Reply to Thread