Quantcast
Passarounds - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Passarounds

I'm up for the pass around. It would probably make sense if I was last on the list. BTW, postage to an FPO is the same as a CONUS address.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The problem with pass arounds is that alot (I changed that from most) of people don't have a grasp on how a knife should perform.

You have to be vigilant in filtering out the chaff.
    As a former fishmonger, that means I'm only qualified to test knives for butchering fish.

Please someone! Make some knives for butchering fish!!!

But yeah, I agree with Salty. I no longer cut for a living, and certainly, there are a number of different ways to cut anything, but there are certain standards that a knife should meet. I've only recently learned about some of these qualities after finally buying and trying knives by different makers.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The problem with pass arounds is that alot (I changed that from most) of people don't have a grasp on how a knife should perform.

You have to be vigilant in filtering out the chaff.
    I won't disagree with this, so it's important to have some context WRT the reviewer's experience. But there are other aspects to the knives besides the performance (fit and finish, balance, etc.) that non-pros can comment on.

I loved the chance to try out Del and Pierre's pass-arounds, even though I did not have the chance to cut nearly as much as I would have liked to, and far less then one of you pros. But I was able to give Del some useful info, and I hope to get some to Pierre as well. I think the pass-arounds help the users decide if they are really interested in the products a given knifemaker produces, in addition to giving good feedback to the maker.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Back when the DTITK's first came out, I remember there was general excitement but it was tempered. Then Salty did a couple of vids and wrote a few words about the prototype and all of the sudden, everyone and their mother absolutely had to have one. I'm not even close to kidding. I hardly even remember anyone else reviewing that knife.

This was no accident - this was a carefully executed move orchestrated by Mark eTailer who sent the knife to Scott knowing that he'd talk about it and probably even do a video since he was doing a lot of them back then. A calculated risk that paid off big time. Devin would've made many sales on his own anyway - no doubt about it - but this was just the spark that was needed to set that rocket ship into orbit. The man is a master manipulator/salesman.

Hoo-boy! I'll bet this gets some of Marks buds up in arms!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    ... The man is a master manipulator/salesman.
    Old story, what else is new?

I don't need to worry about marketing - all I want is an honest feedback that will help me to improve. And if these passarounds lead to some sales, then even better. I am not here to conquer the world. My ambitions are very modest.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    This was no accident - this was a carefully executed move orchestrated by Mark eTailer who sent the knife to Scott knowing that he'd talk about it and probably even do a video since he was doing a lot of them back then. A calculated risk that paid off big time. Devin would've made many sales on his own anyway - no doubt about it - but this was just the spark that was needed to set that rocket ship into orbit. The man is a master manipulator/salesman.
    Can't say I'd argue with anything Dave said. Although I'd like to point out when I reviewed the knife I was carefull to point out I was reviewing this particular knife (the proto type) and the test would be in the semi thing working out on a consistant basis.

I still don't own one and wasn't offered the prototype. (Which I would have bought in a second) The fact that I don't have one says something.

Marko, I think you should tackle Carter's gyuto next. I'd love to see your take on one of those beauties! (even Salty likes them)
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Back when the DTITK's first came out, I remember there was general excitement but it was tempered. Then Salty did a couple of vids and wrote a few words about the prototype and all of the sudden, everyone and their mother absolutely had to have one. I'm not even close to kidding. I hardly even remember anyone else reviewing that knife.
    A number of people, including me, had minor issues with DT ITKs that we received. I can personally say that Devin has taken numerous steps to remedy issues with the ITK knives based on my own conversations with him. In fact, I will be sending my DT ITK Western to Devin to take a look at when I finally have time to get it all packed up, write Devin a letter, and make him a batch of my homemade personal recipe barbecue rub - I haven't forgotten Devin! Devin is certainly one of the nicest people I've talked to, especially considering I was talking to him about some of his work. And I hope to eventually own one of his custom knives.

But, back to the point. Because there were people who were absolutely raving about the ITK, IMHO it seemed that a number of people who had complaints felt that they had to repress their opinions - I was one of those people because I was a relatively new to high performance knives - because we were afraid to go against what other people were saying, many of whom were chefs, including Salty, and if I recall correctly, Colin.

However, things are different here and now and for the better. Based on the passarounds of knives of Michael Rader, Del, Stephen, people are honest without being condescending, and critical but polite. The amount and professional level of information here amazes me almost every day.

Best of luck to you Marko. I look forward to reading about your knife. From the looks of it, you've already gotten a great start on your knifemaking career.

Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

i'd love to be in on the pass-around.

+ Reply to Thread