Quantcast
Passarounds - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Passarounds

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Marko, I think you should tackle Carter's gyuto next. I'd love to see your take on one of those beauties! (even Salty likes them)
    NOOOOO!!! He needs to send the carter back home so I can copy it to make a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    NOOOOO!!! He needs to send the carter back home so I can copy it to make a knife.
    Actually, Carter is in the mail, Mario should receive it today. Just tracked, it is out for delivery as I type this.

No plans for copying Carter. His grind - shallow convex combined with a thin geometry is not that different from mine (mine is a little thicker), but I like profile I am using better.

I do have to give Mario (RRLover) a huge thumb-up on sharpening. His are some of the most uniform (and thinnest) bevels I have seen and his Carter was the sharpest knife I have even handled. Need to fly to IL to take one-on-one class with the man. Very, very impressive.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I'd love to be in a passaround as well. Really like the Masamoto-like profile I've seen on some of your early knives!

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Actually, Carter is in the mail, Mario should receive it today. Just tracked, it is out for delivery as I type this.

No plans for copying Carter. His grind - shallow convex combined with a thin geometry is not that different from mine (mine is a little thicker), but I like profile I am using better.

I do have to give Mario (RRLover) a huge thumb-up on sharpening. His are some of the most uniform (and thinnest) bevels I have seen and his Carter was the sharpest knife I have even handled. Need to fly to IL to take one-on-one class with the man. Very, very impressive.

M
    Instead of you coming to IL I can ride out to NY for a week when it cools off and play at your shop for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The problem with pass arounds is that alot (I changed that from most) of people don't have a grasp on how a knife should perform.

You have to be vigilant in filtering out the chaff.
    This may be true if this were some of the other forums that are heavily populated with dilettantes and such. But it comes off as a bit elitist. Does a user that prefers not to push cut rank lower in the pecking order? What about someone who owns lots of high end knives but rarely/never puts blade to board? We're all here because we already know what to look for in a knife, or are serious enough to take that step into this rarefied world.
    I'm pretty sure that the guy who walks into SLT and proceeds to bash a Zwillig Kramer against the counter to test its edge retention isn't going to pop up here.

Just read the cheese knife post. I stand corrected.
    Last edited by ecchef; 07-24-2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: new evidence
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the guy who walks into SLT and proceeds to bash a Zwillig Kramer against the counter to test its edge retention isn't going to pop up here.
    I think he already has

I'd like to try it out

Quote Originally Posted by goodchef1 View Post
    I think he already has
    Someone was bashing edges on a counter to test edge retention?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    sorry, may have been a bit convoluted. Just a poke at some irony

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I'd do it, to prove a point. I do it at work all the time.