Quantcast
Passarounds
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passarounds

Passarounds

Giving in to pressure from some members here, as well as having been encouraged by how well the gyuto I made has performed, I decided to start planning pass-arounds.

I will make knives in 52100, W2, carbon tool steel (more stain resistant than 52100) and possibly a stainless steel that is not AEB-L.

I will start with 52100, then follow with W2 (with hamon), then tool steel and then stainless. I will make either a gyuto or a suji, let me know if you prefer one over the other. Also, let me know what handle (Meiji or Octagonal) to make. Western handle will be an option for knives in tool steel and stainless.

I am very ignorant about pass-arounds (never participated in one), so those who have done this, please fill me in on details, i.e. how to run, how to manage, schedule, etc.

Thank you and I will look forward to your feedback and reviews. I will have the first knife ready in about two weeks.

M

PS: down the road, I will also do a cleaver passaround.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Engorged Member
    I'd like to be on the list! Start a sign up thread. Give details on shipping and insurance for the next recipient. Give guidelines on amount of time the knife can be kept and maintenance that is permissible to be done to the blade(sharpening, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I'd like to be on the list! Start a sign up thread. Give details on shipping and insurance for the next recipient. Give guidelines on amount of time the knife can be kept and maintenance that is permissible to be done to the blade(sharpening, etc.)
    Right, but can you guys fill me in what is customary for a pass-around? For instance, how ling is appropriate to keep the knife? Is it a participant's responsibility to mail the knife to the next person?

One thing I will have to request is that people who would like to participate in the passaround must have a forum presence.

M

Engorged Member
    Usually, a week at most with shipping. A couple of hours doing prep w/ it and then send it on. I think a big mistake is people trying to get "used" to it. I want to know how it compares to other knives you use and how its different from them. Imo, passarounds are for the benefit of the maker. In addition, if you're uncomfortable with just anyone using the knife, pick your passaround group yourself. Just remember, its hard to get an unbiased opinion from your friends...

Anywhere from 2-10 days per person, people in the passaround have to have a good reputation, it's their responsibility to ship it and keep it safe, usually you list an insurance price in case USPS or UPS destroys/loses it, and one person, either the maker or a volunteer, keeps track of who is getting it in what order and everyone's addresses.

The maker picks whether the knife will go in order of signup, or geographically routed(to keep shipping low).

I'd love to be in on this one! I love reviewing....well, anything.

Stupid border! I want in, if at all possible!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Which one? I'd kind of like to know how the 180 mm knife worked out . .

[QUOTE= having been encouraged by how well the gyuto I made has performed,

M

Marko, please add me to the list.

After being in a few passarounds, I'd say a week is probably too long, and three days is probably good enough to give you some good feedback.

Stephan's use of a "spoiler" thread for feedback is a good idea to copy.

I'd also suggest than you make a "quick and dirty" poplar saya to protect the knife in transit. Despite some pretty good packaging, the tip on Stephan's knife was broken off early in the pass around.

Thanks,

Rick

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Id love to be involved, 52100 gyuto would be my preference but I'm not picky. I'd also be willing to help organize the passaround efforts if needed.

[QUOTE=Cipcich;31105][QUOTE= having been encouraged by how well the gyuto I made has performed,

M[/QUOTE]

That one will go to only one person - YOU.