Advice for inexpensive 270mm WA-Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartleby

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a good and inexpensive (not "cheap") 270mm WA-Gyuto. I wanna try to see if I am more comfortable with it as with my 240mm Gyutos. Important is a more or less thin profile but it does not have to be a "Laser". If I am comfortable with the size it will be my everyday knife while I will probably buy a more high-end Gyuto for extended and relaxed cooking sessions.
As I don´t have a white steel knife yet I would like to try this steel, but I am fine with other carbon steels or (semi-)stainless as well as long as it is easy to sharpen and takes a good edge.
And I would like a WA-handle. Looks much better in my opinion and I feel comfortable with this type of handle on my other knifes as well.

Pricerange: About 200€

I've read good reviews about the Yusuke Knives, but I haven't found a shop selling a 270mm at the moment.

I also would prefer to buy in Europe or direct in Japan as it makes no sense to ship items from Japan to the US and then to Europe from an ecological point of few.

Questionaire below.

Please excuse anny grammar errors, english is not my native language.
Greetings from Austria
Stefan

Austria/Europe

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
WA-Gyuto 270mm

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese WA-handles

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
270mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no, but can be
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
200€

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
90% veggetables, 10% meat

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
240mm WA-Gyuto

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Chopping, drawing, slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Just wanna try a knife with a little extra length

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
F&F does not have to be perfect. Handle should be with Horn-ferrule. No need for layered steel

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Knife should have a more or less thin profile. Does not have to be a "Laser" (but can be).

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Should be easy to sharpen. Also want to try white steel

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
2 Weeks with normal home use (3-4 meals a week, everydays cutting)

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo (no) , wood (yes - cherry wood boards), rubber (no), or synthetic (yes - for meat only) cutting board?

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (no)

270 narrows things down a little bit in your price range

Since you are in the EU:

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-kasumi-270mm-wa-gyuto/

Would be my choice.

The Hattori FH is a well respected VG-10 knife which is also in budget. Also the JCK Swedish Stainless if you wanted a laser.

Sure others will offer some other suggestions.

Thanks a lot,
I already have the Itinomonn on my radar. Of course I could invest the little extra amount, but then there would be the question if I should not invest even more and already buy the Tadatsuna Wa Gyuto 270mm White II from Aframes....So at first I want to look if there is something really within the 200€ range to see if I am comfortable.
Wrote an email to the Bluewayjapan store on Ebay to see if he can provide a 270mm Gyuto as well (none listed there at the moment).

Hattori and JCK are only available with western handles unfortunately.

I know that it's not easy. But if its easy then I wouldn't have to ask here, right? ;-). And I am not in a hurry, so time is on my side.

Greetings
Stefan

My bad. Was in gbp...

Hattori FH is also available in wa, the original knives were ho, but there is also a rosewood handled version too iirc.

My bad. Was in gbp...

Hattori FH is also available in wa, the original knives were ho, but there is also a rosewood handled version too iirc.

Thanks, didn't see the WA versions of the FH line. I should have scrolled down as well :). It's on my list already!

Hattori and JCK are only available with western handles unfortunately.

JCK FuRinKaZan series have 270 wa gyuto in Swedish stainless. But I have yet to see someone admitting to buying one or giving a performance review.

JCK FuRinKaZan series have 270 wa gyuto in Swedish stainless. But I have yet to see someone admitting to buying one or giving a performance review.

+1 on the list.

But as I said, I would prefer white steel.
Found the Ashi Hamono Ginga brand which looks quite good at a very reasonable price both in carbon and stainless. Any thoughts on that one?

Servus! :)

This Forum is a fantastic place, you might even find someone who would lend his 270 wa-gyuto to you.

My personal approach would be to either borrow a knife from somebody to find out whether or not you like that length, or purchase smth sweet that you want to keep in case you like it. I wouldn't buy smth cheapish to find out if you like the size. You might sell smth sweet easier here than smth cheap.

I don't have a 270, BTW.

Koki is a top vendor, i'm sure the JCK knife isn't a step change from a Yusuke/Konosuke/Ichimonji/(insert Sakai brand "laser" gyuto here). Gonna be an OEM knife.

Servus! :)

This Forum is a fantastic place, you might even find someone who would lend his 270 wa-gyuto to you.

My personal approach would be to either borrow a knife from somebody to find out whether or not you like that length, or purchase smth sweet that you want to keep in case you like it. I wouldn't buy smth cheapish to find out if you like the size. You might sell smth sweet easier here than smth cheap.

I don't have a 270, BTW.

Griasdi :)

Basically I fully agree with what you said, but I am not looking for something cheapish. Thats why I wrote inexpensive and not cheap. My intention is like I have it with my 240mm Gyutos: I have one good but rather inexpensive (in this case a nice VG10 WA-Gyuto from Kamata in Kappabashi/Tokyo) knife which is for everyday (ab)use and one more sofisticated knife I take a lot more care about. This is used for relaxed long cooking sessions on weekends, when I am not in a hurry and can enjoy cooking.

So know I am looking for the everyday sort of knife. If I like the knife-length it will stay in the kitchen for everyday and at some point I will add a more high-end knife for the cooking sessions.

Last edited:
270 WA Gyuto for 200€? What about a white2 Ashi hamono? Price with shipping should be around 161€, adding 19%import vat and 8.5 tax rate for kitchen knives, that should add up less than 210€. Slightly above your budget, but that's a tight one anyway.

270 WA Gyuto for 200€? What about a white2 Ashi hamono? Price with shipping should be around 161€, adding 19%import vat and 8.5 tax rate for kitchen knives, that should add up less than 210€. Slightly above your budget, but that's a tight one anyway.

You are right, it is tight. Already wrote an Email to Hamono (see first page). It's the best price I found so far and the reviews online are quite good. It is on top of the list at the moment....

Chances are that the package passes customs and you don't have to pay customs and taxes. That depends on the value the seller indicates on the shipping papers. But better calculate with that extra cost and be surprised (positively) if you don't have to pay it than the other way round!

Neither cheap nor inexpensive, but I like that Shig on BST! ;)

@daddy yo yo I know the nice surprise when it passes custom without having to pay for it. But I do calculate with customs of course :).

Seen the Shigefusa as well and was tempted. But it is over the top for me at the moment. I guess I will join the first come/first serve lottery at JNS sometime, but not now....

A friend has a 240 fu rin ka zan wa gyuto and he's very happy with it. you'd be hard pressed to find many major differences between it and the other lasers (kono , ginga etc)

I will borrow it for a week and do a small review with some photos next to a kono to compare... I've been meaning to do that for some time sorry guys.

Chances are that the package passes customs and you don't have to pay customs and taxes. That depends on the value the seller indicates on the shipping papers. But better calculate with that extra cost and be surprised (positively) if you don't have to pay it than the other way round!

Neither cheap nor inexpensive, but I like that Shig on BST! ;)

Shig is cheap considering what you get for that :D

@geo87 Looking forward to the review :).

I guess I will decide over christmas which knife to buy!

Looks good too. Have to check if there is an European or Japanese seller. One more on the list.Nr. 1 is the Ashi Ginga at the moment....

Close the list.:groucho:

Yeah. But waiting for a response from the Factory. Everything takes a little longer over Christmas which is fine :). Does anyone know if they sell fitting Sayas as well?

Another reason for a bigger Gyuto: got my new bread knife today (32cm Dick), my other knifes look way to tiny now (on the left my 270mm VG10 Gyuto).

20472284or.jpg

20472285wl.jpg

Greetings
Stefan

What is your current Wa-Gyuto ?

'Kenmax'...housebrand of Kamata in Kappabashi/Tokyo. I like it quite a lot for everyday use. Really thin and nice. 2nd Gyuto is a Tsukiji Masamoto with V1 and western handle. Great too, but the blade should be thinned first. I don't want to do it by myself as I don't have that much experience with thinning....

So. Ginga is ordered. Was a little tempted to order a Konosuke HD2, as I got an offer there as well. But it would have been a little bit over my limit (even if still acceptable).
I will tell you when it arrives :)
Thanks for your help.
Stefan

Well done sir. A 270 Gesshin Ginga is one of my "sellers regret" knives and I'll prob have another one day.

FWIW the Dick bread knife will eat the pictured cutting board like a log in a saw mill. I have a Gude 320 and a semi dedicated board I use for cutting bread with it. Mine is an Epicurean but a poly would work as well.

Have fun.

Well done sir. A 270 Gesshin Ginga is one of my "sellers regret" knives and I'll prob have another one day.

FWIW the Dick bread knife will eat the pictured cutting board like a log in a saw mill. I have a Gude 320 and a semi dedicated board I use for cutting bread with it. Mine is an Epicurean but a poly would work as well.

Have fun.

Thank you :)

The Guede bread knife was close to the Dick. I would have prefered it because of the nice Oak handle, but I got a pretty good deal on the Dick so I decided to go for that one.
With the board you are right, the pictured one is cherry wood and pretty soft (thats why I bought it). For bread I usually use a big IKEA board of some unknown end grain timber (is this the correct term?). I hope this will last for a while :)

So. Finally the knife arrived. Customs was unfortunately more expensive then expected, but it is as it is.....

The knife itself makes a very good initial impression. Everything looks straight and well done, sharpness is good as well out of the box. Can't wait to try it....

20605441fx.jpg

20605443ue.jpg

20605446ky.jpg

I am just not sure if I should give the Saya a layer of hard oil or not...

So thanks for your advice,
Stefan

Back