Gyuto or Sujihiki / Slicer? -Talk me out of a Tojiro F-521?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_edge

Reaction score
First off; I might just need a blade safe for my Tojiro F-878 (if one exists). I've looked into Wood Sayas (that run ~$40- or too close to the cost of the knife I want it for), but am much happier with the Victorinox 8-10" safe (over sayas; and safes are only ~$6). -I haven't seen a 10.5"+ blade safe available. I would like better edge retention, but understand that geometry and the virginity of the blade can make a difference (my Tojiros have only been lightly sharpened a few times -no thinning). A 240mm would fit in the safe I have (and I'd buy another in a heartbeat). My Nakiri is a Yoshihiro PM SKD-11 650mm, and has tempted me to get another PM steel knife due to it's awesome edge retention and thinness behind the blade (as well as awesome price - but I think JKI has a similar knife $15 cheaper).

Some knives I've been looking at:

Kohetsu HAP40 Gyuto 240mm (~$215 -no saya) from CKTG (though I'm not thrilled with their marketing strategy on youtube -I can do most of the same feces with a $22 Victorinox), or their possible geometry / profile issues (dead spots, thickness).

Tojiro Chef Knife 240mm F-521 (~$170.00 -no saya) from Amazon. -Heavier than Tojiro DP of same length, from the walmart of the internet?, but an incredible price for a pm steel knife. -Can't find any negative feedback or positive on these. Tojiro claims similar sharpness as DP's (how many can do this: http://youtu.be/23dau4JyGIU?t=2m26s ), and significantly harder steel or edge retention but no specific steel or recipe mentioned. -No spine or choil pics either.

Akifusa Chef's Knife - Gyuto - 9 1/2 in. (240mm) (~$220 from epicedge - no saya). I like that they're upfront with steel type / hardness, etc. -I like transparency; but is it worth up to $50 more? Is it just marketing?

Gesshin Kagero 240mm Powdered Steel Gyuto (~$230 -with knife bag *suggests use of additional blade guard*). -Most expensive of the bunch, and one of the least revealing (steel / hardness not mentioned). Can someone explain to me why it's worth $60 more than the Tojiro with the same or more lack of transparency? If it's just a different F&F I'll go with the cheaper. I've found that rounding of the spine (at the pinch grip), and choil takes less than a minute on Tojiro DPs.

Questionaire:

KNIFE TYPE
240mm Gyuto, 270-300mm Slicer or Sujihiki

Are you right or left handed?
Dexterity in right, stability in left (mostly cut w/right and guide with left), slightly prefer ambidextrous for this category as it's kept me working through injuries and pinch grip is rather impartial

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Price and balance is more of a factor. I'd go with either to save $5. I don't have any issues with handles that are considered large / boxy, or small. Prefer non-metal with some amount of grip when wet.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm (9.4") gyuto or 270 (10.5) to 300mm suji / slicer

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Not required, but strongly preferred. Not too happy with Kuro-uchi, but San-Mai is ok.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I'm looking or aiming in the $160-$240 ballpark, but not limiting myself to this if far better is just beyond the scope. Not looking to waste money on damascus (san-mai is fine), custom handles, or F&F.

KNIFE USE
Professional and Home

-Trimming and horizontal slicing multiple eye-rounds, butterflying 60-80lbs of chicken breasts daily. I do veg prep also, but have a great Nakiri for that.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Not sure I'm replacing. I have a Tojiro DP 210, and 270 Gyuto. I love the 210, but feel edge retention could be much better? The 270 is heavy and I have trouble finding a blade safe that size, or a saya I'd want to blow ~$40 on (prefer blade safe if I could find one that fit).

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch grip, but use all types; though hammer grip solely due to the shortness of 210mm (stresses tendon connecting pinky at wrist). I use the finger or thumb on the spine when trimming (I'll probably use the 210mm gyuto for this if I get a suji / slicer).

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push, Slice, Chop (no rock or walking with *** knives) -depends on knife / what works best.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Lighter or equal to 275G (my 270 gyuto)
Better edge retention (if significant)
Blade length (greater than 210) if I can't find a decent cheap blade guard
Possibly less drag (mostly for horizontal slicing meat) -My 210 gyuto is already 10x better than the house knives for this

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Wood end grain -low silica, hard maple to acacia in hardness

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes: Freehand on synthetic water stones

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
If convinced that stones up to a 6k stone + newsprint stropping isn't nearly sufficient for the knives potential.

I've not much input on the Tojiro, as I've only owned/used the DP series knives, but they needed some serious thinning to be good performers.

I have the aogami super version of the Kohetsu. Interesting knife, but the fit and finish on mine isn't even up to Tojiro standards. HAP-40 is supposed to be a "super steel", and the two knives I have made from it (a Shimitani nakiri and a Gehei wa-gyuto) are pretty good in the edge retention department.

I have owned/used both the Akifusa and Gesshin Kagero, and they are very good performers OOTB. Side by side they are almost impossible to tell apart. The edge retention of either is nothing short of phenomenal.

If you are really price sensitive, opt for the Tojiro; otherwise either the Gesshin Kagero or the Akifusa, though the Kagero comes with a zipper case and free shipping.

I echo de comments from Tiger. I own a Kegero and cannot be happier with it. I love its handle wich is slightly tapered and feels wonderful in the hand. It feels substantial with its weight and performs really well, with an edge retention that is truly spectacular. When I asked Jon for advise between the Kagero and the Ginga he posted the Kagero as better for edge retention. I am not the most knowledgeable member of the forum by any strech of the imagination, but i have always been very happy with it and that has only grown in time as I continue to use it and compare it to other gyutos.

Last edited:
If the steel matters, I believe the Kagero to be SRS15 but pretty sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. As to what is mentioned about steel and hardness--not so sure that it really makes a difference. I happen to know the steels of most of my knives, but find that it really isn't that important--what is important is that the maker is using a steel with which they are comfortable. The Kagero is a sweet knife (I have a 240 gyuto) that will hold an edge for an extremely long time--the reason I purchased this as my only stainless knife. The retention will blow away anything you're currently using.

If you purchase from Jon you also get a level of research/quality control that should be factored into the costs--especially considering some of the other places you're shopping (EE being a positive exception). JKI or EE will both offer quality advice on your purchase. I personally will buy knives from a few other places as well, but none that you mentioned:)

Cheers

+1 to everything Rick and China said. I've used and sharpened, but not owned, a Kohetsu AS and do currently own an Akifusa (can't comment on the Tojiro). The Kohetsu F&F is pretty acceptable for the price range, but isn't anything to write home about. I'm not a huge fan of the AS as done by Kohetsu from a sharpening perspective. Kind of a *****. Very good performance if I remember correctly. The Akifusa is sick value. It's almost an unrivaled performer through some softer ingredients and I've yet to try anything that handles onions as prodigiously as the knife. The balance is excellent, at least for my preferences (slightly in front of the heel), though the tapered grip, which I like, causes some split opinions. Whether or not the JKI version is a clone or a white-labeled version of the Akifusa, I'm not sure, but assume it is essentially the same knife.
I don't get into the polemic about retailers (used a bunch of them). While each has their own strengths and weaknesses, for the knives you are considering, I'd probably go with the best price.

I have the Akifusa, rounded the spine, choil & bolster myself. Best edge holding on stainless in my experience. As other's mentioned worth the price. The Kagero is the same blade with rounded spine and choil + free shipping in US.

You can just use an edge guard on it, kind of a plain Jane knife that rocks performance wise. You can take to a razor edge. Really like that SRS-15 steel. I may be wrong but I think the same place makes them & sells under several different names. All seem to have the same handle where the scales taper toward the back.

None of them come with saya's, but a 240mm saya works. 3.07mm spine at bolster & 46mm spine to cutting edge at heel.

Back