Quantcast
Need Recommendation - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Recommendation

I only know the chef from years ago before he started his culinary career (friend of the family) so I have no idea how he treats his tools or what his working conditions and habits are like. I know it makes more sense to stay on the safe side but I also want to blow his mind too.

The Carbo next is not as reactive as most carbons, but will form very dull uneven patina after some use. It is substiantally more reactive than the HD from Konosuke, which is the only other semi-stainless I can compare it too. If your friend wants the shine all the time don't go for the Carbonext. But it is a great blade performance wise.

I really need to figure out how to post some pics, I wish I could show you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    I really need to figure out how to post some pics, I wish I could show you mine.
    What website is hosting your pics? If it's Photobucket, the steps are:

1. Make sure you've allowed public access from the album options dropdown in Photobucket.

2. In Photobucket, click on "Direct link" in the window that pops up when you mouseover the pic you want to post; this copies the images address to your clipboard for the next step.

3. Back in the forum, when you're composing a post, click on the Image icon (it's the one with the tree in a square). An image address window will pop up.

4. Paste the direct link you copied from Photobucket into the address field.

5. Click on "Go Advanced" so you can preview your post and pic.

If it's another service, like Picasa or Flickr, the process is similar, but the steps probably aren't identical.

I tested a Kikuichi TKC, Konosuke HD and CarboNEXT side by side for reactivity vs vinegar then lime juice. The result was pretty clear. None of them were particularly reactive but TKC was less reactive than HD which is less reactive than CN. Supposedly CarboNEXT = TKC, however, my particular pieces do not support that idea. CarboNEXT is a semi-stainless steel, not a carbon steel, per se.

The CN isn't very reactive at all. In fact, to say that it forms a patina is slightly misleading, as it's a very non-traditional patina. I'd say that like the Gokinko, you can discolor it somewhat, but like the gokinko active rust won't be an issue provided your habits are a quarter step above atrocious. As for the kagayaki, I had the wa and never had a problem sharpening it. It wasn't really thin, but wasn't thick either. It was a nice kinda use and abuse knife, but I hated the painted logo and the dead profile of the blade. Sold it to a guy over at FF, that is still raving about it some months later. Wasn't my favorite knife, but I do have to say that edge retention was pretty nice on that knife. It had an edge that just wouldn't quit.
    Last edited by bprescot; 03-07-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: grammar

If this is the Hiro G3 series...this is an outstanding blade for the money, and they could charge more....

I picked one up for the beach house and every time I use it I'm awed...thin sharp, really good F&F for ootb J-knives, sharpens up easily and gets sharp,(and I'm no DR.Sharp)

I can't comment about the 'mock' TKC's but the Ichi TKC is more stainless than semi. The few blemishes I have look more like water spots, so there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    My vote is for a hiromoto gingami

Sounds like you're looking for a converter. I'd go with the DP, it's fairly idiot-proof and cuts like crazy. I've found it to be a snap to sharpen too.

I'm so torn on this decision. I can't believe the torment of picking this knife.

Can you convince them to go to $200?