seasoning a cutting board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffG

Reaction score
I hope this is the correct forum to put this in. I purchased and rec'd a Martin Jones end grain cutting board (let me add they are beautiful) and need help on seasoning it properly. I read that I can use almond oil for this process and just wanted to get opinions on if this is sufficient or if you all recommend something different.

I also picked up a Tojiro 240 Hammered and a Tojiro Shirogami ITK 120mm Petty for my first Japanese knives and look forward to using them after I get the board all ready to go and also watch all the sharpening videos I can soak in.

thank you in advance.

Jeff

Mineral oil seems to be the most recommended, ive heard food based oils can go rancid? A couple of soakings of mineral oil then a blend of oil and beeswax works a treat.

Agree with above. Food oils will turn rancid. Use a few coatings of drug store mineral oil. Bees wax and oil blend is good too. Keep it dry when not in use. Lots of threads about cutting board treatments on the forum.

Happy cutting!:knife:

I never seasoned mine, though it is teak. Just a light rub down with 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water, don't want to be too sterile, we have to prepare for the zombie apocalypse somehow. Though my grandmothers' cutting board and roller are made of oak(not sure) and I believe the ones I have from her are as well. We just use canola oil and have never had a problem, as long as you wash your produce and toss the rotted parts before you cut and never let it touch meat you shouldn't have a problem.

I never seasoned mine, though it is teak. Just a light rub down with 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water, don't want to be too sterile, we have to prepare for the zombie apocalypse somehow. Though my grandmothers' cutting board and roller are made of oak(not sure) and I believe the ones I have from her are as well. We just use canola oil and have never had a problem, as long as you wash your produce and toss the rotted parts before you cut and never let it touch meat you shouldn't have a problem.

DDP, this may be your routine but it's certainly not a best practice for long term maintenance. Plus there's nothing wrong with cutting meat and vegetables on the same board as long as it's washed between uses.

I oil my cherry/walnut board about every two weeks or so then seal with board butter. A well sealed board will release its oil when washed. It's kinda like ablative bottom paint on boats. Same principal.

Also, Canola oil will rancid and if combined with vinegar, that must be one aromatic hunk of teak.

To clarify I only use the oak board for rolling bread/dough, Indian style, and that is what I've seasoned with canola. The teak is the one I rub down with vinegar and salt but don't oil, 2 years strong, it's faded but other than that it's solid, I might pick up some board butter or beeswax but the idea of mineral oil is off putting to me.

I use food grade mineral oil. The stuff they sell at the drug store.It's cheap and wont go rancid!

Agree with above. Food oils will turn rancid. Use a few coatings of drug store mineral oil. Bees wax and oil blend is good too. Keep it dry when not in use. Lots of threads about cutting board treatments on the forum.

Happy cutting!:knife:

This. Make sure you get the stuff labeled for cutting board use or "intestinal lubrication".

Yes, simple mineral oil is the way to go. Boardsmith makes a nice paste with beeswax. That gives the board a little more water resitance. Don't use food oils!

Back