$250 to spend on getting started

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmath

Reaction score
My situation is thus:
About 3 years ago i started cook more and more, and ended up buying a 8" zwilling j.a. henckels chefs knife, which was head and shoulders above my cheapo set I got as a wedding present.
About a year I got a 6" Shun VG10 Santoku that was on clearance, and it was heads and shoulders above the Henckels.

I now want to start my own collection of Japanese kitchen knives, and have $250 max to spend. I really want a nice(compared to what I now have) 240 Gyuto, but that budget also needs to cover sharpening stones, and possibly cutting boards. Until now I have only used a honing steel, then taken my knifes to a sharpener about once a year, but I would like to start doing my own sharpening. I don't even know where to begin looking for quality knives and stones (and so I ended here:wink:)
I would like something of similar quality to my Shun, but from what I hear I can get as good or better quality for cheaper.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
chefs/gyuto
Are you right or left handed?
right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
I'm used to western, but willing to switch
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for
slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats
What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-Cut
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Sharper edge
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I like Damascus patterns, but mots important is the quality of the knife.
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Don't even know
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I mostly do push cutting, easier to sharpen would be nice
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Longer the better, but would rather have sharper knife than one that holds its edge for longer

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Mostly Wood, also some synthetic
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
no, but would like to
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

Thanks for any help!

John at Japanese Knife Imports should be able to sort you out with a stone and knife.

Alternatively, over at Japanese Chef Knifes you can get a 240 Hiromoto Aogami Super for $161 with free shipping over Xmas (else $7).
These are highly regarded knives which are no longer being manufactured.

You can also get a 1000/4000 combo stone from them, or look for a King 1000/6000 combo stone which seem to be the most recommended here.

+1 on talking with Jon for recommendations. And also on starting with a 1000/6000 grit combo stone, there are a few options.

The Ginga is a wonderful knife but beyond the budget if you need stones as well.

You will need a way to flatten the stone after a few sharpening sessions. This can be as cheap as a floor tile and automotive sandpaper (<$10) or a 120-300 grit diamond plate ($60-100) is a great option but unnecessary to start out.

Check out Jon's knife sharpening playlist on YouTube, under Japanese Knife Imports. Pretty much all you need to know to start sharpening.

I'll second the +1 the Ginga. But given your budget (<$200 after stones) there is really only one knife I would buy: Tanaka blue steel. Fantastic grind and steel. But be sure you are really prepared to deal with a carbon knife.

Act fast and you can get in on Korin's 15% off knife sale ends Dec. 31.
I suggest something like this: (http://korin.com/Susin-Inox-Gyutou?sc=27&category=280068) or this: (http://korin.com/Misono-440-Molybdenum-Gyutou_2?sc=27&category=280074) and leaving you with enough money for a stone like this: (http://korin.com/King-Two-sided-Sharpening-Stone-with-Base-1000-6000-Grit?sc=27&category=280108) The knives are very beginner friendly and will be a great intro to japanese knives. Also as stated giving Jon a call would also be very beneficial.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really like the look and reviews of the Hiromoto Aogami Super, but the sales Korins is also tempting.

If I did get the Hiromoto, would it be wise to get the JCK Special Combination Whetstone (#1000 and #4000) ($65) from JCK as well, or should I buy my sharpening stones elsewhere?
Thanks

I have their 1000/4000 stone and it seems to be a nice stone, though I haven't tried any others for comparison.
I also have their 8000 stone, and I did notice a difference between 4000 and 8000, at least when it came to shaving my arm :)

One advantage of a 1000/6000 stone is that 6000 would be as high as you need to go, thereby saving you a stone.
But then 4000 may well be as high as you need to go for a kitchen knife.
I'm still relatively new to this and don't have enough experience on that to form an opinion. I just like to get them sharp :)

JCK special will be fine, so will the King 1000/6000 -- I have King stone (separate, not the combination) and use the 6000 all the time, it's a nice stone.

Either single stones or a combination stone are really a requirement for using Japanese knives, a steel will do very little to keep them sharp and can damage the knives.

For a 240mm knife I would recommend you get a full sized (8x2" or larger) stone -- there are smaller stones and combination stones available very inexpensively, but they are going to be a pain to sharpen a large knife on.

As far a knives go, in the really cheap seats there is a Tojiro DP available many places for around $100 in a 240mm gyuto. Not very fancy, VG-10 steel similar to your Shun but likely has better heat treating (and therefore less liable to chipping).

Peter

I have the stone and used it for several years as my only stone. It's fine.

The Hiromoto is kind of thick, I'd take that Suisin INOX with western handle before that.

Older Hiromoto were a bit thick behind the edge, or, more exactly, the thickening was quite abrupt. Is no longer the case with newer batches I've seen. A lot more core is freed -- especially on the left side. All a good sharpener would do with an older one is done already.
Put a slightly more conservative edge on it than the one it comes with OOTB, and you will benefit from an exceptional edge retention.

Older Hiromoto were a bit thick behind the edge, or, more exactly, the thickening was quite abrupt. Is no longer the case with newer batches I've seen. A lot more core is freed -- especially on the left side. All a good sharpener would do with an older one is done already.
Put a slightly more conservative edge on it than the one it comes with OOTB, and you will benefit from an exceptional edge retention.

That's good to hear. The 150mm petty I have is a tough little beast. My all around utility knife for jobs I wouldn't dare use my Kono HD! Also my "visitor" knife.

Ended up with the Hiromoto and JCK 1000/4000 stone out of convenience. I think that the Hiromoto's were no longer being made kind of was what tipped the scales. Thanks for all the help! I'm sure I will be all over YouTube and these forums to figure out how to properly sharpen it now. When it gets here will it be ready to use OTB, or should I do any initial sharpening/honing?

Do this.
[video=youtube;dW_sAqpVmug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW_sAqpVmug&list=UUY7LzKnt-Q59iQz01e10rnw[/video]

Latest posts

Back