Gyuto recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuliosperb

Reaction score
First of all I'm sorry for my bad english. I'm brazilian and I'm in Florida. I wiil return to Brazil on 18th Januaey and want to bring a japanese knife with me. So please help me!!

USA going to Brazil

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
8 inch

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
US250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

licing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Wusthof classic

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Hammer grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-Cut, Rock , Slice, Draw, Chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Improves everything! Particullary the edge and sharp

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel (but it isn't so important)

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
heavier knife and better handle material

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; better food release

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
1 month?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes (bamboo)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes (wetstones?)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Hi there, maybe you can consider a Hiromoto Aogami Super Gyuto, while they are still available... Lots of value for money, you can get the 10,6 inch gyuto for around $ 175,00. Check some reviews and see what you think about it. Have fun on your knife-quest !!!

Welcome!

To be clear, you want something heavier than your Wusthof?

I would suggest calling Jon at Japanese Knife Imports, he is very good at helping to determine the right knife for your needs and also sells waterstones for sharpening. Delivery will be free while here in the states.

Cheers

What part of Florida are you in? There are a several members across the state here - you may be able to try a couple.

For a 240 mm, western handle, stainless, less than $250, I would start here: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...esshin-kagero-240mm-powdered-steel-gyuto.html

Jon, the proprietor of Japanese Knife Imports, can also set you up with sharpening gear. A phone call there is always time well spent.

If you want to try and get a knife and sharpening gear for $250 then I suggest the Suisin Western Inox in 240mm. http://korin.com/Susin-Inox-Gyutou?sc=34&category=23935325 Both Japanese Knife Imports and Korin retail them. It's my favorite "first good knife" for people entering the world of Japanese knives.

Epicurean Edge has some Yoshikane and other offerings that should be at or near your budget.

The retailers I've described are all sponsors of this site and can be contacted through their individual sub-forums on here. Good luck in your search.

While not a heavy weight, an Akifusa/Richmond/Haruyuki/Gesshin-Kagero SRS15 (all the same knife for all intents and purposes) could be a great option for you. They come pretty damn sharp OOTB which might be important to you as you don't currently sharpen. I find the PM steel to be relatively easy on the stones as well in the event that you do start sharpening your own blades. The knife has incredible balance, an aggressively tapered spine/thin tip, gets very, very thin behind the edge and is possibly the best knife, performance-wise, I've ever used through softer produce. This blade is my benchmark for onions. The edge retention is very good and it is also fairly tough. I really like the tapered Western grip, though some don't. Other drawbacks: a bit numb/glassy on the stones and the near flat grind can cause friction through tall produce (but it's the same grind that makes it so awesome through most product). For what it's worth, this knife still holds a place in my block and have sold off blades that cost 3-4x as much.
EDIT: BTW, get off that bamboo board. Could roll acute edges pretty quickly

Welcome!

To be clear, you want something heavier than your Wusthof?

I would suggest calling Jon at Japanese Knife Imports, he is very good at helping to determine the right knife for your needs and also sells waterstones for sharpening. Delivery will be free while here in the states.

Cheers

Don't need to be heavier then my Wusthof... The weight isn't so important to me...

What part of Florida are you in? There are a several members across the state here - you may be able to try a couple.

For a 240 mm, western handle, stainless, less than $250, I would start here: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...esshin-kagero-240mm-powdered-steel-gyuto.html

Jon, the proprietor of Japanese Knife Imports, can also set you up with sharpening gear. A phone call there is always time well spent.

If you want to try and get a knife and sharpening gear for $250 then I suggest the Suisin Western Inox in 240mm. http://korin.com/Susin-Inox-Gyutou?sc=34&category=23935325 Both Japanese Knife Imports and Korin retail them. It's my favorite "first good knife" for people entering the world of Japanese knives.

Epicurean Edge has some Yoshikane and other offerings that should be at or near your budget.

The retailers I've described are all sponsors of this site and can be contacted through their individual sub-forums on here. Good luck in your search.

Ghessin or Siusin? What's the best choice? Thx for help!!

Give Jon from JKI a call once the vacation period is over - he is really a nice guy with incredible experience and knowledge.

Matus my english sucks man... I probably will not understand anything he will speak . Read and write in English is much easier for me. THX!!

What do you think about this: http://www.**************.com/feuphietandt.html ?? Good deal? With a Bester 1200 Grit Stone...

Sorry for the link... It is an Hiromoto Aogami Super Gyuto 240mm etched and thinned by Shaun Fernandez...

Sorry for the link... It is an Hiromoto Aogami Super Gyuto 240mm etched and thinned by Shaun Fernandez...

You would be paying extra simply for looks, as the current Hiromoto AS doesn't really need thinning, according to recent reports from forum members. The edge of the regular Hiromoto from Japanese Chefs Knife (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/TenmiJyurakuSeries.html#AogamiSuper) will look almost as nice after it builds some patina.

For that kind of money, I'd pay a little more and get the Gesshin Kagero from JKI or the Akifusa from The Epicurean Edge. Much better core steel.

I nearly fell off my chair at the description which states that Fernandez is a "knife-smith".

Do yourself a favour and get a knife finished by a Japanese maker, not an internet "expert"/advertiser. By the way, in the questionnaire you stated that you want an 8" knife, which would be equivalent to a 210mm gyuto. The Kagero mentioned previously is a superb choice.

Do yourself a bigger favour and don't shop at that site not allowed here; it is not the best place to shop and the advice you get will not be good. I would send Jon a pm, you can find him in the subforums at Japanese knife imports:)
Jon is most trustworthy!
Cheers

I nearly fell off my chair at the description which states that Fernandez is a "knife-smith".

Do yourself a favour and get a knife finished by a Japanese maker, not an internet "expert"/advertiser. By the way, in the questionnaire you stated that you want an 8" knife, which would be equivalent to a 210mm gyuto. The Kagero mentioned previously is a superb choice.

Thank you very much for the advise!! It can be a 240mm no problem!! I will buy the Gesshin Kagero. Is it easy to edge and sharp like the Hiromoto Aogami?

I love the Gesshin Kagero (240)--it's my only stainless gyuto. The edge holds for a very long time. Suggest you request Jon to do the initial sharpening.

What is the difference between Gesshin Kagero and Gesshin Ginga? What is the best choice? And what do you prefer a combo waterstone King 1000/6000 or a Bester 1200 alone?

The kagero is made of a pm steel (likely srs15) which will literally hold an edge for an extremely long time. The Ginga is likely Swedish stainless (I could be wrong?) which is very fine grained but will not hold the edge for near as long as the Kagero.

Nothing wrong with the King combo, but if you are like many here you will tire of the 1k side because it dishes quite a bit. I'd probably just start with a finishing stone for the knife you're buying. You won't need a 1k for some time and learning to do touchups will be easier on the knife with the finer stone. Later add a middle grit stone (1-2k) and finally when you've really blown out an edge a coarse stone.

Cheers

I was going to suggest a quick phone call to ask about differences but remembered that might be difficult. Send Jon an email and/or post question in JKI sub-forum. I've owned Ginga but not a Kagero so only difference I can speak to is that Kagero is in stock.

To get started with stones, a med and a fine is pretty much a minimum. Combo stones are an inexpensive way to get there.

still crazy backed up with e-mails. working on getting all sharpening done tonight before we close on sunday for a week or so. I will try to get to some e-mails over my vacation if i can... otherwise, you'll hear from me in January. You can always call me tomorrow if thats easier though.

still crazy backed up with e-mails. working on getting all sharpening done tonight before we close on sunday for a week or so. I will try to get to some e-mails over my vacation if i can... otherwise, you'll hear from me in January. You can always call me tomorrow if thats easier though.

Thanks Jon but I'm not fluent in English and I do not understand much in a phone call. I prefer to help me in writing. The problem is my time. I go back to Brazil January 17 and need the knife before that.

Back