Quantcast
Petty Handle Size - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Petty Handle Size

Handle length = hand size. I made my petty's handle 150mm,I have wide hands.My suisin 180mm petty's handle is perfect for my wife but worthless for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1126
    You guys seem to be more concerned with length than the other dimensions. I thought that the handle might be too narrow at the ferrule 16mm, more that the overall length being an issue. Check this one out it is 17 x 20mm at the ferrule 134mm long . I made it for my new 150-180mm petty, I am yet to buy. Any suggestions, san-mai carbon steel preferred
    Thanks again for the input
    Mike

17 x 20 mm sounds ok for a petty, not the largest but... for comparison: Hiromoto wa suji 270 mm 17 x 22 mm, Heiji 120 mm mini yanagi 15 x 19 mm at the ferrule

17 x 20mm at the ferrule (for petty) would be fine, however, I make my handles to taper both horizontally and vertically, so 17 x 20mm in the front would yield around 19x25mm in the back.
    Some folks prefer no taper handles.

Japanese handles are rarely made to fit actual knvies. Those are made to size and the handle installer selects from what's available at the time and the better makers seem to get better match control.

I have seen both: handles that are too small and handles that are too large.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I think your handle looks nice. I can't tell what the taper is like from the picture. I do think some taper is aesthetically a bit more pleasing.

Hey Marko, I much prefer a tapered handle also, and this one does have a slight taper on both planes just under 2mm. I have a hard time getting the taper in the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    17 x 20mm at the ferrule (for petty) would be fine, however, I make my handles to taper both horizontally and vertically, so 17 x 20mm in the front would yield around 19x25mm in the back.
    Some folks prefer no taper handles.

Japanese handles are rarely made to fit actual knvies. Those are made to size and the handle installer selects from what's available at the time and the better makers seem to get better match control.

I have seen both: handles that are too small and handles that are too large.

M

Mike, I think your size will work well for a small to medium petty. One thing's for sure...your handles look great! Nice work!
    I must have fat hands, cuz I seem to like slightly oversized handles, but I don't think the size you ended up with would bug me at all.
    Keep em coming!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Mike,

Nice job on your petty handle. What wood is it?

As far as a blade, maybe one of those white steel clad in stainless Yoshikanes from DrNaka?

Rick

Rick, Its Amboyna burl with some sapwood Thanks

Great handles. One thing to consider is that even if the blades get smaller, your hands don't. It is thus important to make the handles large enough to feel comfortable in the hand and look "the right size" for the knife at the same time. I have found that a nice taper on the handle will aid you in increasing the hand feel at the same time as you can reduce the size close to the blade to fit the heel.

DarkHOek

+ Reply to Thread