Quantcast
Petty Handle Size
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petty Handle Size

Petty Handle Size

In an effort to cut cost and waste. I recently bought a couple pen blank size wood blocks to make smaller handles. This is what I ended up with and I am wondering if it is too small. 16.15mm X 20.00mm at the ferrule and 17.35mm x 21.10 on the end x 126mm long. I only own one petty for reference and it has a beautiful Stefan handle that measures 19mm x 20mm at the ferrule 20.6 x 21.6 at the end x124mm long. Can you guys with alot of petty knives give me your two cents
    Thanks

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMG_0276.jpg
    http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMG_0277.jpg

You make that ironwood look fantastic, although I can't comment on the dimensions of an appropriate petty. But it seems like it would fit a smaller petty just fine, maybe in the 120mm to 130mm range.

I am working on a petty and was wondering the same thing. I think your handle looks great! You do great handles.

The dimensions of your handle are very similar to my 150 Heiji which is not a small knife. The handle thickens up just a sliver more than that at the heel. I love both of those but particularly the darker one.

I would not go below 130mm for a 150mm petty handle, light or heavy. My preferred length for petties (150-180mm) is 132mm. It has to do how the handle feels in my hand. Anything less than 130mm feels too short.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Heiji 150 handle is 127 mm. I feel it works quite well, although I wouldn't mind it a little bigger. For what it's worth, I also know another guy with the same knife. He thinks it's the best petty handle ever.

I alwalys have a hard time with handles for these smaller knives - some people want a handle that is in line with the small blade, others put function over form and want a big handle that matches their hand, even if it looks a bit big on the knife. I guess it really comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I have XL hands, and I made a few tiny 110mm handles for ajikiris, wondering how in the world this could work, but the customers were happy.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I would not go below 130mm for a 150mm petty handle, light or heavy. My preferred length for petties (150-180mm) is 132mm. It has to do how the handle feels in my hand. Anything less than 130mm feels too short.

M
    My gut agrees with Marko on this one. For my Rodrigue, we went with a handle that is 130-135mm, because it felt right, and my Carter handle was dead on at 130mm. I don't see myself making my next couple handles any shorter unless I'm told to do otherwise.
    As for width and height, I find 19mm feels right, by about 22-24mm. It's all feel.
    One thing's for sure, though. I would likely want smaller for a 120mm petty (yours sound right for that size).
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I have a Tanaka petty with an ironwood handle that is 112mm long and 15mm wide at the widest point. Snug, but works. It is a delicate knife, though.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Thanks guys

+ Reply to Thread