Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petty Handle Size

Petty Handle Size

In an effort to cut cost and waste. I recently bought a couple pen blank size wood blocks to make smaller handles. This is what I ended up with and I am wondering if it is too small. 16.15mm X 20.00mm at the ferrule and 17.35mm x 21.10 on the end x 126mm long. I only own one petty for reference and it has a beautiful Stefan handle that measures 19mm x 20mm at the ferrule 20.6 x 21.6 at the end x124mm long. Can you guys with alot of petty knives give me your two cents
    Thanks

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMG_0276.jpg
    http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMG_0277.jpg

You make that ironwood look fantastic, although I can't comment on the dimensions of an appropriate petty. But it seems like it would fit a smaller petty just fine, maybe in the 120mm to 130mm range.

I am working on a petty and was wondering the same thing. I think your handle looks great! You do great handles.

The dimensions of your handle are very similar to my 150 Heiji which is not a small knife. The handle thickens up just a sliver more than that at the heel. I love both of those but particularly the darker one.

I would not go below 130mm for a 150mm petty handle, light or heavy. My preferred length for petties (150-180mm) is 132mm. It has to do how the handle feels in my hand. Anything less than 130mm feels too short.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Heiji 150 handle is 127 mm. I feel it works quite well, although I wouldn't mind it a little bigger. For what it's worth, I also know another guy with the same knife. He thinks it's the best petty handle ever.

I alwalys have a hard time with handles for these smaller knives - some people want a handle that is in line with the small blade, others put function over form and want a big handle that matches their hand, even if it looks a bit big on the knife. I guess it really comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I have XL hands, and I made a few tiny 110mm handles for ajikiris, wondering how in the world this could work, but the customers were happy.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I would not go below 130mm for a 150mm petty handle, light or heavy. My preferred length for petties (150-180mm) is 132mm. It has to do how the handle feels in my hand. Anything less than 130mm feels too short.

M
    My gut agrees with Marko on this one. For my Rodrigue, we went with a handle that is 130-135mm, because it felt right, and my Carter handle was dead on at 130mm. I don't see myself making my next couple handles any shorter unless I'm told to do otherwise.
    As for width and height, I find 19mm feels right, by about 22-24mm. It's all feel.
    One thing's for sure, though. I would likely want smaller for a 120mm petty (yours sound right for that size).
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I have a Tanaka petty with an ironwood handle that is 112mm long and 15mm wide at the widest point. Snug, but works. It is a delicate knife, though.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Thanks guys