New Member - New Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgod

Reaction score
Greetings KKF members - I'm new here, and recently acquired my first gyuto, a Kanetsune Minamoto Kanemasa KC-703 gyuto. 2N carbon steel, 240mm claimed length, yo handle. I'm really enjoying it - my long-time mainstay is a rosewood Forschner 8". Quite a change! I've had added fun by playing around with a forced patina, although this steel is relatively low reactance compared to a very old Sab utility knife.

What surprised me is the thinness. Spine is 1.8mm at its thickest, 1mm near the tip, and 1mm at 2cm back from the edge. Length is actually 244mm, and weight is a feathery 196g. This would seem extremely thin and light for a 240 gyuto, particularly a very low-cost one (easily available at less than $60).

As much as I like it, I'm hankering for something with a little more heft and substance. No experience with a pricey laser, but after some work on the minimal OOTB edge, this knife has no trouble falling through the vegs and chicken I've put it to. I'm thinking something like a Fujiwara FKH 240 would be a noticeably more weighty contrast in a carbon knife, at a still reasonable cost. If I could justify the cost, something in one of aogamis would be a great upgrade, I assume.

Welcome!

You'll want to fill out the "which knife to buy questionnaire" in order to get the best results for your needs:)

Latest posts

Back