Photo of the Year

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
The absolute worst case of abuse I have ever seen.

WhattaWarp.jpg

It was either allowed to sit in a pool of water for a period of time or washed in a dishwasher.

***! list that as what not to do with a good cutting board

Or they adjusted the board for chopping with a german knife with a lot of belly?

oh,a little sandpaper and it'll be good as new.

Do you think it's possible to bend it back now? I know minor bending can be fixed, but what about such severe cases?

Do you think it's possible to bend it back now? I know minor bending can be fixed, but what about such severe cases?

Sadly, there is no hope for this board. There are broken glue joints showing in the front of the photo and who knows what the joints look like in the rest of the board. It appears as though the warping on the side away from the camera is more severe.

SMH. Why spend that kind of money on such a good tool and not take 10 minutes to learn how to care for it?

I guess it's all your fault, David? In any case, a good reminder to make some board butter, mine need a refreshment.

Stefan

At least they didn't burn it in the oven. True story.

I'm not 100% convinced that this skateboard ramp started as a cutting board.

Handy things those ULUs. I actually have one.

I would have not thought that a board cod warp this much without disintegrating into pieces. What was the excuse of the owner for the warp?

Now you've got a matching board to use with it. :D

They have the matching board and I have the photo.

Matus - No reason for the warp, they said it started to warp on its own several weeks ago and just kept going.

Matus - No reason for the warp, they said it started to warp on its own several weeks ago and just kept going.

Interesting. Since the warping occurred over longer time period - could it still be an effect of single (say over night) exposure to water? I am just curios what is your experience.

Interesting. Since the warping occurred over longer time period - could it still be an effect of single (say over night) exposure to water? I am just curios what is your experience.

I was told the warping started slowly and happened over a period of time. Warping of this type doesn't happen slowly but will happen in just a few hours after over exposure to moisture in some form or the other so I guess it was more sudden than slow. I guess the board sat in a puddle of water for some time and then started warping as the moisture entered the wood fibers and caused them to swell. Or it could have been placed in a dishwasher with the cutting surface towards the dishwasher interior wall. The resulting hot water bath and heat from the dryer could have also produced that kind of a severe warp.

Whatever the cause, the board is now garbage and there is no hope to fix it in any shape or form. Might be an interesting conversation piece.

If I had to guess.....
I would say it was left in a sink full of dish water.
Then put into the oven to dry.
and they forgot to flip it over half way through.

So what was the outcome? Did they accept responsibility or are they still claiming 'dark forces'?

I never heard anything more from them.

Back