OPINIONS SOUGHT for b-day knife purchase for my wife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
Hi. I'm thinking of buying my wife a Western handled Santoku for her birthday. She's a good cook, decent knife skills, but needs something stainless, low maintenance, and not too delicate—she's been known to leave knives in the sink [my knives are off-limits to her]. She says my gyutos [240mm] are too big, which is why I'm thinking of a santoku. Don't want anything too fancy, budget of under $150. I would be doing the sharpening on stones for her.

My santoku short list is:
Misono 440
Misono Moly
Tojiro DP
Masamoto VG
Fujiwara FKM

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Fujiwara fkm stainless 180mm gyuto.

I would give this a look:

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...hen-knives-by-type/santoku/ashi-home-set.html

Bring her gently into the fold.

Another suggestion, a 180 or 210 Suisin Western INOX Gyuto is my favorite "gift" knife for wimins.

Good suggestions. I think her aesthetic would lean towards a more 'normal' looking knife, so the Ashi won't do. Funny though, I never thought about just getting her a smaller gyuto, I just automatically thought that I should get her a santoku! Will look into the Suisin. By the way, on my shortlist was a Misono 440, any thoughts on that? I can't find many reviews on the 440 series, but saw it on sale online.

I used a Kohetsu Blue #2 210 Gyuto for a few days and was quite impressed with it, the Aogami Super line is supposed to be even better and there's a 180mm Santuko in that line.

Suisin inox 180mm gyuto on sale from Korin
Masamoto VG 180mm gyuto
Hiromoto 180mm gyuto in gingami stainless steel from JCK
Hiromoto 180mm gyuto in aogami clad in stainless if willing to wipe and not leave in sink
JCK Kagayaki 180mm gyuto aogami "
Akifusa 180mm gyuto in stainless PM is amazing but a bit over budget from Epicurean Edge. My wife has tried several of these smaller 'less threatening' gyutos and and picked this one out of six others. I have bought several to give to friends and family as an intro to higher quality knives. She has finally given up her 6 inch Henkels.:knife:

Let us know what you choose.

Suisin inox 180mm gyuto on sale from Korin
Masamoto VG 180mm gyuto
Hiromoto 180mm gyuto in gingami stainless steel from JCK
Hiromoto 180mm gyuto in aogami clad in stainless if willing to wipe and not leave in sink
JCK Kagayaki 180mm gyuto aogami "
Akifusa 180mm gyuto in stainless PM is amazing but a bit over budget from Epicurean Edge. My wife has tried several of these smaller 'less threatening' gyutos and and picked this one out of six others. I have bought several to give to friends and family as an intro to higher quality knives. She has finally given up her 6 inch Henkels.:knife:

Let us know what you choose.

All good suggestions. I would also be careful with Hiromoto's g3 though; I found it to be a little less stain resistant than a lot of other stainless steels I've used.

So all stainless would be better, or at least a rust free steel. I bought my parents a Yaxell VG10 damascus and they are really happy with it. It cuts fantastically well, is stainless and looks great.

Back