A little fun with 210 Uraku Usuba....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
I haven't really done much with this since I got it...for a variety of reasons. So I decided I'm going to start setting aside a little time every week to practice with it, and maybe prep something to eat along the way.

Some pics from my first session of giving a serious effort.

15529451273_f7549cecb0.jpg

15963428887_faf2c00525.jpg

I think the main thing I learned is where to look to know what adjustments I need to correct incorrect angles...

That cuke looks backwards... On second glance the knife does too. :justkidding:

When I play/practice with my Usaba I frequently use a daikon. It's the same consistency all the way through so longer sheets.

That cuke looks backwards... On second glance the knife does too. :justkidding:

When I play/practice with my Usaba I frequently use a daikon. It's the same consistency all the way through so longer sheets.

heh....watching the videos and reading the text on katsuramuki was a little challenging b/c of that...as I left, I tend to end up doing some kind of blend of left/right....but that is simply not possible in this instance :)

Yeah, I've had a couple of other folks say that this is easier to learn on Daikon...so I'm going to be giving that a go on the next session.

The uraku are such a bargain no?!? Ill second the daikon for practice, make sure is very firm and not spongy, or it will tear no matter how sharp your knife is. Nice work!

I haven't really done much with this since I got it...for a variety of reasons. So I decided I'm going to start setting aside a little time every week to practice with it, and maybe prep something to eat along the way. Some pics from my first session of giving a serious effort....

Yes, if I remember you got that knife some time ago. Come to think of it, I should do more with mine too.

So does the single bevel actually make it easier? I've tried it with a suji but it was hard to control.

So does the single bevel actually make it easier? I've tried it with a suji but it was hard to control.

At the end of my next session, I'll try with a nakiri, DTN, and SIH gyuto.....then report my observations.

Back