Some Watanabe Kurouchi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does he do any stainless cladding?

Check out his store, he does a few in stainless clad but only shorter ones, I think up to 180mm. I really wish his 240 gyutos came stainless clad. I like their geometry and profile, but they can be a bit reactive.

Stefan

Stefan, for a 240 SS clad gyuto you might want to have a closer look at Kochi from JKI.

I have 150 and 180mm stainless clad Watanabe knives and love both of them.

Thanks, Anton. Never paid much attention to the Kochis because I am too broke to buy... Long-term I thought about asking Dave to hammer me one from a stain-resistant steel with his geometry and Watanabe's profile, but the Kochis seem to come very close to that.

Stefan

I have to agree there is significant reactivity with these blades, but I don't find that to be an issue. I'm set up with strops (felt and leather) so restoring their appearance is kind of a labor of love. Anyway, I bought Watanabe to use daily and to enjoy without giving depreciation a thought. I got mine!

With an early Stefan handle:
RIMG0997.jpgRIMG1002.jpg
RIMG1001.JPGRIMG1008.jpg
RIMG1004.jpg

I wasn't sure about the full on rustic look at first, but then it kinda grew on me.

I have Arnon Kartmazov working on a couple with this look now. I gave him full design freedom but let him know this is the look I like. He has turned out a few that I thought of immediately after seeing your blade. Thanks for posting. ...be seeing you!

Back