Sale on 8" Kramer 52100 at sur la table

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been $229 for awhile. I ordered one a month ago. Been using it since I got it. Thanks for posting though. I think they are gonna be getting rid of the 52100 line soon. I also bought a 10". Came last week. Haven't used it yet tho.

Well as much as I like my Kramer 52100, I gotta say for the average home cook, the essentials line is probably a better idea: it's AEB-L so you have a pretty tough stainless that takes a pretty darn good edge.

(Also from Sur La Table point of view they were probably getting way to many returns from scale shrinkage.)

Well as much as I like my Kramer 52100, I gotta say for the average home cook, the essentials line is probably a better idea: it's AEB-L so you have a pretty tough stainless that takes a pretty darn good edge.

(Also from Sur La Table point of view they were probably getting way to many returns from scale shrinkage.)

Yup. I could see that. I ordered the santoku twice. Returned each one because of scale shrinkage. They were like that straight from the factory. In definitely gonna make sure I keep the 8" and 10" oiled to prevent this. I ordered mine both through bed bath and beyond because of their amazing return policy. They also price matched the 8" to surlatab's sale price.

I sent my 10" 52100 back to Henckels a couple months ago due to scale shrinkage. That knife was a pleasure to cut with. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to solve the scale shrinkage issue in the long-term, if that's what they really wanted.
Still waiting for my knife.

I sent my 10" 52100 back to Henckels a couple months ago due to scale shrinkage. That knife was a pleasure to cut with. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to solve the scale shrinkage issue in the long-term, if that's what they really wanted.
Still waiting for my knife.

You're in the US, right? I think I remember the state and everything. Haha. If in Canada, let me know, and I can see about speeding that up.

Can someone enlighten me on the concept of scale shrinkage?

Are you referring to the wood handles? Does oiling them help? I've got mineral oil and beeswax.

The scales (handle slabs) of the 52100 series are made from unstabilized African blackwood and can shrink depending on the humidity and the particular batch of wood. I have the 10" chef's, the slicer, the utility and the parer and there has been minimal or no shrinkage on any of them, but I live in a relatively humid part of the country. I had to return the first parer I received, as the scales had shrunk to the point that the rivets stood proud of the scales. It appears to be the luck of the draw.

Oiling will help some, especially if you soak the handle in a jar of it. It won't help the worst cases of shrinkage.

The damascus and Essential series use a different handle material and don't have this issue.

Rick

The scales (handle slabs) of the 52100 series are made from unstabilized African blackwood and can shrink depending on the humidity and the particular batch of wood. I have the 10" chef's, the slicer, the utility and the parer and there has been minimal or no shrinkage on any of them, but I live in a relatively humid part of the country. I had to return the first parer I received, as the scales had shrunk to the point that the rivets stood proud of the scales. It appears to be the luck of the draw.

Oiling will help some, especially if you soak the handle in a jar of it. It won't help the worst cases of shrinkage.

The damascus and Essential series use a different handle material and don't have this issue.

Rick

Thanks for the quick response, Rick. 52100 is a steel I've wanted to try for a while.

Is it impossible to stabilize blackwood without some loss of looks? If not, seems they should have rolled out a stabilized blackwood version, no??

Lefty, thanks for the offer, but I am in the U.S. Just got a message yesterday that they found the knife defective and will send me a new one.
I'm surprised they haven't made some changes to correct this well-known problem. Maybe most people just don't bother sending them back.
On my knife the tang and rivets were protruding. It wasn't an issue with a pinch grip, but it didn't feel right. Especially not for a premium item.
New one should be here in a week or two.

Lefty, thanks for the offer, but I am in the U.S. Just got a message yesterday that they found the knife defective and will send me a new one.
I'm surprised they haven't made some changes to correct this well-known problem. Maybe most people just don't bother sending them back.
On my knife the tang and rivets were protruding. It wasn't an issue with a pinch grip, but it didn't feel right. Especially not for a premium item.
New one should be here in a week or two.

Awesome! At least they replaced it without question.

Back