Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I found treasure!

I found treasure!

I feel like a treasure hunter who found gold!
    It cost me the most I have ever paid for a single board, but I feel lucky to have found it.

A native Hawaiian had this in his Grandfather's stash (old stock, old growth Koa).
    This is the best I have ever seen and it is still under a thick layer of dust.
    I will post more photos when I cut and sand some of this.

Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Dude, don't sell that!

As much as I love beautiful handles, that thing is a talking piece!

Oh my! That does look promising!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

How big is it?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Almost 5 foot long and the best curly figure I have ever seen through the whole piece.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Oh man, how did you find that. Maybe I have to start going from door to door on the Big Island... I just got a few nice blanks from 80 year old stock, but yours looks fabulous. A true treasure, large boards with such a consistent curl are almost impossible to find. Almost too nice to cut it up, it would make a great knife block

Stefan

Make a surfboard.

Would be really interesting to have sets made for wa handles 1"x1"x6" and sayas (thin lumber 12"x2.5"x3/8")

DarKHoeK

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    I feel like a treasure hunter who found gold!
    It cost me the most I have ever paid for a single board, but I feel lucky to have found it.

A native Hawaiian had this in his Grandfather's stash (old stock, old growth Koa).
    This is the best I have ever seen and it is still under a thick layer of dust.
    I will post more photos when I cut and sand some of this.

I buy top notch quality koa kiln dried at $90/BF so if you got it for less, old stock, well seasoned, it's a great find.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    Would be really interesting to have sets made for wa handles 1"x1"x6" and sayas (thin lumber 12"x2.5"x3/8")

DarKHoeK
    Koa darkens a bit when stabilized, so to have a matching color on a handle and a saya, you have to play with water dyes. I find natural (unstabilized) koa the most appealing in terms of color.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com