Quantcast
I found treasure! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I found treasure!

I usually buy 3-4BF at a time and it lasts me a while. I still have a good chunk left from what I bought last time, which was about over a year ago (I like to season my wood very well), so I might be up for a surprise when I place my next order.

Your piece looks very exceptional. If I were to categorize it, I would give it AAAA rating, while mine would be at AAA.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Here is another variation of koa I really like.
    This was a quick sanding at 120 grit and a light spray of lacquer for the photos.
    Looks a little better when sanded finer.
    I usually save it for the shows because I can never get the photos to come close to how it looks in real life.
    The color changes when the light hits it from different angles.
    First glance it looks red, when you move it around it can be amber, brown or red.
    Kind of hard for me to say what is best since I keep changing my mind when I see something new and different.
    The one thing that remains consistent is that I really like Koa.

Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

On the subject of old and rare wood You ever come across any American chestnut Burl? I have some early American knives that need new shoes and I think chestnut would fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    If they like you, they will share their stash.
    We like you! Feel free to share you stash(es)!

In regards to your problems photographing high end koa, what setup are you using? Tweaking your gear, lighting or processing of the photo will help tremendously. The Koa in this Michael Rader handle always looked good, but with the right angle and right lighting I was able to capture it at it's most colorful, reflective and figured.

"God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I know you have sent darkhoek a piece of geedee. Im gonna have it on a honyaki

I haven't come across any American Chestnut yet.

I am pretty sure my camera is possessed and likes to make me look dumb when photographing Koa and Walnut.
    It is either that or operator error. I am leaning toward the first.

As for the Gidgee.
    Looks like the big pieces are ready so I will break those out soon.
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    We like you! Feel free to share you stash(es)!

In regards to your problems photographing high end koa, what setup are you using? Tweaking your gear, lighting or processing of the photo will help tremendously. The Koa in this Michael Rader handle always looked good, but with the right angle and right lighting I was able to capture it at it's most colorful, reflective and figured.
    I think it really comes down to taking the time to get the lighting from the correct angle as well as using the camera correctly.
    Leaving it on the automatic mode is pretty much hit and miss. The camera I am using is an old Olympus E20N. I should probably dig up the manual and learn to use it correctly.
    These are some new stabilized pieces that arrived Friday. I turned the table angle just a bit and it almost looks like different pieces in each photo.
    Photos still don't come close to real life.

Visit our web store

No matter what you do chatoyance is not something that a static image can capture. The above images look fine to me!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    On the subject of old and rare wood You ever come across any American chestnut Burl? I have some early American knives that need new shoes and I think chestnut would fit the bill.
    I often see American chestnut that has been recovered from old barns, but have never seen burl or a piece with a figure that would make it attractive for a handle or a saya.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

surfboard...

...someone use this Koa for what God intended before it's too late...