Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite super petty?

Whats your favorite super petty?

So I have been feeling lately that I need to get a long petty or short sujihiki. You know, something in the 180-210mm range. Probably wa handled and carbon vs stainless doesnt matter as much to me but I do love steels that sharpen easily and are responsive to stropping. I touch up my knives on the stones pretty often so crazy edge retention isn't my top priority.

What knives do you guys use for these purposes? I haven been looking around and the Gesshin Ino 180mm pettys(especially the single bevel one) and the Heiji 210 suji are peaking my interest. Hmmmm

210 Suisin Inox Honyaki...one of my most-used knives.

Love it so much, but I'm sure Kono HD or Gesshin Ginga would be just the same.

You are a sujihiki main-knife kinda guy like myself, correct?

Crazy as it might sound, but a 240 suji has been on my mind lately as a replacement for my 210 petty, but it would be too much overlap with my 270 and 300 sujis to really justify...then again, I'd find a way to fit it in and use them all per usual.

I like all of the options you guys have proposed. I was close getting all of them at one point or another. Here's a couple more options I've tried recently. Adam made a 240 mm suji out of AEB-L that was very nicely put together. His grind was flat and a little uneven on one side but I would imagine he can fix that. Of course, we all know he makes a nice handle. The other is a 210 suji made by a guy on this forum. His handle is Rottman. This knife is flat out awesome. I'm composing a review of this one at the moment. Both of these guys price competatively.

I have the Sakai Yusuke White #2 210 petty and it is very very good. It is very thin and has great fit and finish. There aren't a whole lot of 210 pettys and I'm definitely gonna buy another in the future

One vote for the Konosuke HD.

I just bought the Gesshin Ino last week and I'll get it on monday! I'll report back and let you know. Single bevel petty - yanagiba combo sounded awesome to me!

My first custom has just arrived (3 hours ago) and it's a carbon damascus 180mm petty, pics will follow once i've put a handle on it. Needless to say i'm itching to see how it will perform but i'm hoping it will fill the gap between my 120ish petties and my 240 gyuto/270 suji, plus it looks awesome

Who made it???
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

210mm Sakai Yusuke white 2 suji from Blueway Japan

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I have the Sakai Yusuke White #2 210 petty and it is very very good. It is very thin and has great fit and finish. There aren't a whole lot of 210 pettys and I'm definitely gonna buy another in the future
    One reason the Yusuke line is special is that the handles are epoxied rather than burnt in. It's the major difference between it and my Ashi (which is burnt and with slightly less perfect F&F).

However, my current favorite petty is a Tanaka Blue#2 Wa-petty from 330mate (who takes custom orders and you can also get them in Ginsanko and VG-10, IIRC you can also order an upgrade to rosewood and buffalo horn instead of the standard el cheapo magnolia with plastic ferrule). What I love about the Tanaka is the perfect profile (almost like a skinny, mini gyuto) and the steel which takes a great edge and is not too reactive.