Quantcast
Whats your favorite super petty? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite super petty?

I had a Konosuke HD 210mm wa-petty, just sold it because it was the classic jack of all trades, master of none... Also, I've become convinced that wa-handles on petties are almost always awkward. They're too big for such a narrow blade, and the knife ends up being awkwardly light (if that makes sense).

That said, I think a 180 western handle petty could be very useful, and I've been eyeing this knife, in 180mm: http://www.ichimonji.co.jp/shopping/...ail.php?id=372

i just got the gesshin ginga 210mm petty and its awesome, so light and thin, super sharp, and has pretty good edge retention. I love this knife, its stainless so no need to worry about certain foods, and it sharpens up pretty easy i touched it up on a 6k and its been 4 days of constant use and it still feels very sharp. the edge also seems quite durable, i have chopped herbs with it and even used it to french a rack or lamb.

I know its very similar to the kono HD which i have the gyuto version but i gotta say if i were to purchase it again i prolly would have went with the gesshin gyuto. great knives. Just my 2 cents.

Good stuff. Thanks guys.

I'm really curious to hear about that Ino 180 yanagi. The more I think about it the more I like it. Believe it or not I worked pretty much an entire day today at the sushi bar using only my Nenox 150. Its not the best thing ever for slicing fish but its just so easy to use for everything. Awesome for cutting rolls.

Of course I want the most expensive one(Heiji) because apparently I hate saving money. Haha
    It just looks functionally like the most awesome one. If its anything like Heiji's gyuto I'm sure it is.
    Anybody out there pick one of these up yet?

I acquired a 180mm Ino Wa-Petty (Yanagi style) from Jon last year.
    I like the knife, but there were some initial sharpening issues. I sent it to Dave, who said it was a good thing it was short, because it was a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipcich View Post
    I acquired a 180mm Ino Wa-Petty (Yanagi style) from Jon last year.
    I like the knife, but there were some initial sharpening issues. I sent it to Dave, who said it was a good thing it was short, because it was a lot of work.
    thanks to your feedback, I addressed the issue with the maker

I still like the knife, and enjoyed doing business with Jon. In fact, I turned around and bought one of the double beveled versions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias504 View Post
    Good stuff. Thanks guys.

I'm really curious to hear about that Ino 180 yanagi. The more I think about it the more I like it. Believe it or not I worked pretty much an entire day today at the sushi bar using only my Nenox 150. Its not the best thing ever for slicing fish but its just so easy to use for everything. Awesome for cutting rolls.

Of course I want the most expensive one(Heiji) because apparently I hate saving money. Haha
    It just looks functionally like the most awesome one. If its anything like Heiji's gyuto I'm sure it is.
    Anybody out there pick one of these up yet?

I have a Nenox 150 petty also, western handle. I was using it today to cut beef in class for a stir fry. I can put the tip of the knife on the board and pull the knife through the beef for thin cuts faster than I can cut in anyway with a gyuto or chef knife. And faster than my classmates can with their knives. But I was thinking today, if only it was just a little longer, I might not need any other knife! It felt that good cutting with it.

Is the Nenox petty really a petty when it comes to geometry?
    I have a short 100mm petty and they don't look like scaled versions of each other. Is a petty and a suji basically the same knife but just called PETTY if less than 180mm and SUJI if more than 180mm?

Thanks,

-AJ

for MOST (but not all) makers, pettys and sujis are pretty much the same profile and shape... its just a size difference. There are some exceptions, but this holds true for a good number.

Thanks Jon, as always, that helps A LOT!!!

-AJ

Isn't 'petty' really short for 'petite gyuto'?

+ Reply to Thread