Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Whats your favorite super petty?

  1. #31
    Marko, there are some tasks and techniques that I could imagine a 210mm petty or suji being very good for. I tend to use the tip end of my knife for most tasks at work. A full service sushi bar knife must be sharp, agile and tough. With one knife you are basically seeding avocados and then slicing sashimi. I could also see that size being great for cutting maki.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias504 View Post
    Marko, there are some tasks and techniques that I could imagine a 210mm petty or suji being very good for. I tend to use the tip end of my knife for most tasks at work. A full service sushi bar knife must be sharp, agile and tough. With one knife you are basically seeding avocados and then slicing sashimi. I could also see that size being great for cutting maki.
    I guess, I just learned something new. 210 suji sounds like an interesting project.

    Matt, when you say tough, do you mean the knife should not have much flex in the tip area? I took a good look at Shige petty today, and there is zero flex in the tip area, which also means the tip area is not thin. Would this be considered tough?

    M


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  3. #33
    Senior Member Citizen Snips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    I had a Konosuke HD 210mm wa-petty, just sold it because it was the classic jack of all trades, master of none... Also, I've become convinced that wa-handles on petties are almost always awkward. They're too big for such a narrow blade, and the knife ends up being awkwardly light (if that makes sense).
    i think this is a great point a lot of us over-think. although i do not agree completely it is a very valid suggestion for those of you (myself included) looking for a "line knife". i wonder if the handle size for some makers has anything to do with the reasoning behind calling it a petty or a suji. ive been thinking about getting one for over a year now and cannot seem to pull the trigger on anything because im finished experimenting on expensive cutlery. i have tried many many knives and now only purchase when i have done extensive research or already tried knives.

    all that said, my go-to knives are all konosuke and i have a 270mm HD but do not think it is the best idea for a 210mm petty. my options have been narrowed down to a suisin honyaki 210mm petty or sakai yusuke 210mm white 2 suji. if i could get off the fence and decide stainless or carbon the decision would be made for me

  4. #34
    Senior Member Citizen Snips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    That is where I was heading... Why do you guys need a 210 petty? I find it the most redundant knife (size-wise) out there. I think anything over 150 is where a gyuto comes into play or a short suji (if you do trimming).
    M
    i respectfully disagree. there are things in a professional kitchen that benefit from the mid-sized knife. a lot of people call them line knives and that is a great description. they are great for working a line when you dont want to have your whole kit handy. i personally do not care to use my 270mm gyuto on the line (once a month when i actually work it) because it is too big. i need something with more finesse. a 150mm does not have the ability to slice some things that we do to order. this makes it a great option to have. i would also like to note that in the past year i have become a minimalist and understand where you are coming from, i just think there is a use for this particular knife.

    also i found that it would work very well for my daily jobs which is mostly fabrication of whole proteins (mostly fish, pig, lamb, and goat). my mioroshi deba does okay with some things like spanish mackerel or jon dory but i think a 210mm might fit the bill a little better.

  5. #35
    Senior Member stevenStefano's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    ive been thinking about getting one for over a year now and cannot seem to pull the trigger on anything because im finished experimenting on expensive cutlery. i have tried many many knives and now only purchase when i have done extensive research or already tried knives.
    For what it's worth I was in a similar situation for a long time, now that I have one I wish I had got one a long time ago. I used to take 2 gyutos and a petty to work, now I just take 1 gyuto and the 210 petty because I use it so much. I have the Sakai Yusuke btw

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    i respectfully disagree. there are things in a professional kitchen that benefit from the mid-sized knife. a lot of people call them line knives and that is a great description. they are great for working a line when you dont want to have your whole kit handy. i personally do not care to use my 270mm gyuto on the line (once a month when i actually work it) because it is too big. i need something with more finesse. a 150mm does not have the ability to slice some things that we do to order. this makes it a great option to have. i would also like to note that in the past year i have become a minimalist and understand where you are coming from, i just think there is a use for this particular knife.

    also i found that it would work very well for my daily jobs which is mostly fabrication of whole proteins (mostly fish, pig, lamb, and goat). my mioroshi deba does okay with some things like spanish mackerel or jon dory but i think a 210mm might fit the bill a little better.
    Point taken, but from a maker's perspective, I would give a short suji a preference over a long petty.


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  7. #37
    Canada's Sharpest Lefty Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,236
    Meh, poh-tay-toe, poh-tah-toe.
    09/06

    Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

    Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

  8. #38
    Senior Member chazmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windermere, FL
    Posts
    506
    Or whatever markets better and gets you more money.

  9. #39
    I say tough but what I mean is really more distal taper. Like somewhat thicker at the spine and thin and flexy towards the tip.

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    239
    Oh, so is this the thread that generated all the interest in my suisin petty?
    And I'd say a 210 suji and 210 petty are different animals. The sujihiki will feel a little sturdier and be better for carving. The 210mm wa-pettys I've tried (the suisin and an tadatsuna) are super light weight like a lightsaber, so they won't help do any of the work in terms of force.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •