Quantcast
52100 in 1/8" thickness
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 52100 in 1/8" thickness

52100 in 1/8" thickness

Looking for 52100 in 1/8" thickness. I checked Aldo site and he didn't list it, so I am not sure if he carries it or not. I would very much prefer to buy from him, as I can pick it up myself and save on shipping.

As an alternative, I found a company that would sell me one sheet, roughly 19.7"x78.8" , but this is more than I need or can afford to buy right now. Would anybody be interested in a group buy? The total cost I was quoted was $490 with shipping, so roughly $6.50 per lb. I would then re-cut and resend it in flat rate boxes at cost. Anybody?

German-made 52100 (1.2067)

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

If you call Aldo, he might have it, just not listed. I have a huge bar of 52100....was going to have Delbert squish it...I will call him and see about doing it to 1/8". The bar i have is 96"x2" round

I think Alpha has it.

Edit:

I was wrong.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Alpha does have 1/10 and will do custom cuts for people, so you may call them and see if they will get the size that you want.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

I would prefer to buy directly from distributor. This will by far the cheapest route if you buy steel for more than a few knives.
    The price I was quoted before shipping was $4.30 per lb of steel. That's cheaper than Aldo, whose prices are one of the lowest out there as steel prices go.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Marko -

Unless I'm figuring something out incorrectly, that 19.7"x 78.8" x 1/8" sheet should weigh about 55 pounds (0.283 pounds/cubic inch) and at $4.30/lb = $236 which would mean you were quoted $250 for shipping? And that sheet would be more like $8.91/pound shipped. Am I figuring something out wrong or are you talking about two different places?

I would be interested in purchasing some 52100, but not at those shipped prices.

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    Marko -

Unless I'm figuring something out incorrectly, that 19.7"x 78.8" x 1/8" sheet should weigh about 55 pounds (0.283 pounds/cubic inch) and at $4.30/lb = $236 which would mean you were quoted $250 for shipping? And that sheet would be more like $8.91/pound shipped. Am I figuring something out wrong or are you talking about two different places?

I would be interested in purchasing some 52100, but not at those shipped prices.
    Here is the quote I got.
    $325 for the steel
    $162 for the shipping
    The size in metric is 500mmx2000mmx3.45mm
    I was told that the sheet weighs 75Lb so I was using that number for getting an average price for lb.

M

-Niels Bohr

Unless I'm completely screwing something up, that sheet weighs right at 55 pounds.

I'm going to send you a PT as well.

I am using O1 right now, and like the way it works for me, but I might be interested in some 52100.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

So I dd a little search on density of the steel and found the following:
    http://www.trafilix.com/en_pdf/102Cr6.pdf

102cR6 (1.2067, 52100) Density - 7.85 Kg/dm3
    So the calculation yields the following:
    200dm x 50dm x .345dm = 3450dm3
    3450dm3x7.85 Kg/dm3 = 27082.5
    So the sheet of this size should be roughly 27.08kg which converts into about 70lb. Close enough to the original weight quote.

This steel is a little thicker than 1/8. I can't remember if it was 3.45mm or 3.54mm. That will account for some (but not all) difference in weight calculation, using density Adam provided.

-Niels Bohr

+ Reply to Thread