Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 52100 in 1/8" thickness

52100 in 1/8" thickness

Looking for 52100 in 1/8" thickness. I checked Aldo site and he didn't list it, so I am not sure if he carries it or not. I would very much prefer to buy from him, as I can pick it up myself and save on shipping.

As an alternative, I found a company that would sell me one sheet, roughly 19.7"x78.8" , but this is more than I need or can afford to buy right now. Would anybody be interested in a group buy? The total cost I was quoted was $490 with shipping, so roughly $6.50 per lb. I would then re-cut and resend it in flat rate boxes at cost. Anybody?

German-made 52100 (1.2067)

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

If you call Aldo, he might have it, just not listed. I have a huge bar of 52100....was going to have Delbert squish it...I will call him and see about doing it to 1/8". The bar i have is 96"x2" round

I think Alpha has it.

Edit:

I was wrong.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Alpha does have 1/10 and will do custom cuts for people, so you may call them and see if they will get the size that you want.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

I would prefer to buy directly from distributor. This will by far the cheapest route if you buy steel for more than a few knives.
    The price I was quoted before shipping was $4.30 per lb of steel. That's cheaper than Aldo, whose prices are one of the lowest out there as steel prices go.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Marko -

Unless I'm figuring something out incorrectly, that 19.7"x 78.8" x 1/8" sheet should weigh about 55 pounds (0.283 pounds/cubic inch) and at $4.30/lb = $236 which would mean you were quoted $250 for shipping? And that sheet would be more like $8.91/pound shipped. Am I figuring something out wrong or are you talking about two different places?

I would be interested in purchasing some 52100, but not at those shipped prices.

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    Marko -

Unless I'm figuring something out incorrectly, that 19.7"x 78.8" x 1/8" sheet should weigh about 55 pounds (0.283 pounds/cubic inch) and at $4.30/lb = $236 which would mean you were quoted $250 for shipping? And that sheet would be more like $8.91/pound shipped. Am I figuring something out wrong or are you talking about two different places?

I would be interested in purchasing some 52100, but not at those shipped prices.
    Here is the quote I got.
    $325 for the steel
    $162 for the shipping
    The size in metric is 500mmx2000mmx3.45mm
    I was told that the sheet weighs 75Lb so I was using that number for getting an average price for lb.

M

Unless I'm completely screwing something up, that sheet weighs right at 55 pounds.

I'm going to send you a PT as well.

I am using O1 right now, and like the way it works for me, but I might be interested in some 52100.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

So I dd a little search on density of the steel and found the following:
    http://www.trafilix.com/en_pdf/102Cr6.pdf

102cR6 (1.2067, 52100) Density - 7.85 Kg/dm3
    So the calculation yields the following:
    200dm x 50dm x .345dm = 3450dm3
    3450dm3x7.85 Kg/dm3 = 27082.5
    So the sheet of this size should be roughly 27.08kg which converts into about 70lb. Close enough to the original weight quote.

This steel is a little thicker than 1/8. I can't remember if it was 3.45mm or 3.54mm. That will account for some (but not all) difference in weight calculation, using density Adam provided.