Quantcast
Hope all our Norwegian brothers are OK - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hope all our Norwegian brothers are OK

Dark day, we understand and feel your pain.
    Sounds like this was done by ultra nationalists, Timothy McVeigh thought of himself in this way too.
    How can they think that an action like this against your own countrymen would advance the cause you believe in?
    Example of a political position taken to craziness!

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by GLE1952 View Post
    Example of a political position taken to craziness!
    And perhaps a crazy taking a political position. A TV report said that the longest prison term in Norway is 20 years or so. Is that true? This madman will be out before he is 55 years old at that rate. I'll bet that law gets another look.

Longest prison sentence in Norway is 21 year.

Some believe that harder punishment will make less crime, others believe more easy punishment till make less crime. I dont want to go into my believes

Never the less, mentally ill persons can be kept in prison for longer time if they are a threat to society

I think they have a secret Guantanamo-like prison in Greenland where he will rot. Ok, maybe not.

As someone who is nearly all Norwegian by heritage, I'm still a bit shocked, and I certainly wish all Norwegians the best in these days.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

This is terrible news. My heart goes out to everyone in Norway!
    - Erik

Norway is still in shock.
    No joy in people, the radio only plays "enya" and stuff like that, lots of talking, people gathers to put down flowers and light candles.
    92 people dead and 97 heavy damaged

Norway will be in sorrow for a long time. But in time of sorrow we grow stronger!

Terrible news. Heartbreaking.

Yet irony is, the perpetrator will get 21 years of jail (yes, no 100 life terms, but 21 years) and will make a big show out of the trial and when he comes out at the age of 53, he will probably qualify for a pension of sorts or will be supported by some right wing donors. Unbelievable. I am not a trigger happy guy, but punishment in this case is so disproportional to the crime.

Moreover, Norway needs to rethink its response to a tragedy like this. The police response was unacceptable - took a long time and was pretty inefficient - the perpetrator ran out of ammunition and turned himself in! Lives were lost because of that. I think a country that has had plenty of threats in the past several years, should be more prepared (SWAT, helicopters, etc) for incidents like these. Maybe it will be a wake up call.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

He will most likely get 21 year, but is out after 14-15 years.
    Norway got this kind of prisons as well: http://leenks.com/link274417.html

Norway is a place where criminals love to be. Mild sentences, great prisons, free education and so on.

I guess I am sort of a Hammurabist when it comes to stuff like this. My condolences go out to all of Norway!

"And perhaps a crazy taking a political position."

Very true. Painting a political philosophy, religion, nationality etc. by the acts of a few is shortsighted.