Knives & Stones Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura 240mm Gyuto now in stock

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score

As my previous post
(http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ng-the-Sakai-Takayuki-Syousin-Sakura-Wa-Gyuto), I introduced my first custom gyuto, the Sakai Takayuki Sakura wide bevel line. I was expecting to formally launch it before the Christmas but the shipment was stuck at the mighty Australian Customs for more than 10 days and I finally got them on Christmas Eve! Ironically, the big box was clearly unopened when it arrives which means the Customs didn't even bother opening it up to have a look, and just let it sat for almost 2 weeks!
I assume that most of you have forgotten what the knife is about, so I am re-launching / re-introducing the knife once more :)

Knife available: wide-bevel Wa Gyuto in both traditional shape and kiritsuke shape, currently available in 240mm only. 210 / 270 will be offered in the near future.
Material / Construction: Blue 2 core san-mai
Handle: African ebony handle, buffalo horn ferrule with silver nickel spacer.

sakai-takayuki-syousin-sakura-both.jpg

Detailed spec:
Regular shaped gyuto:
Weight: 246g
Total Length: 387mm
Blade Length: 232mm
Height: 51.2mm
thickness above heel: 3,1mm
thickness at mid of spine: 2.4mm
thickness at 1cm from the tip: 0.97mm

Kiritsuke shaped gyuto:
Weight: 242g
Total Length: 387mm
Blade Length: 232mm
Height: 46.5mm
thickness above heel: 3.2mm
thickness at mid of spine: 2.3mm
thickness at 1cm from the tip: 0.9mm

Let me go into a bit more details about what is so cool about this Syousin Sakura series:

About the blade
Forged and sharpened by the best smith in Sakai. Syousin represents the best possible workmanship. To qualify for the Syousin badge, both the bladesmith and sharpener have to be highly regarded masters. For this particular Syousin Sakura, the bladesimth is Master. Suogo Yamatuka and the sharpener is Master. Norikatsu Nishimura. Both of them are among the elite group (currently less than 30) of the Dentou Kougeishi (Traditional Craftsman, 伝統工芸士). Basically, you know that you are getting a blade that comes with a guaranteed workmanship. The blade is hand sharpened by Nishimura san back in Sakai using natural stone, and thanks to the extremely thinness behind the edge, you could expect the OOTB edge is quite pleasant to use.

sakai-takayuki-syousin-sakura-gyuto-regular-font.jpg

The regular 240mm Gyuto

sakai-takayuki-syousin-sakura-engraving.jpg

The engraving
sakai-takayuki-syousin-sakura-regular-gyuto-choil.jpg

The choil shot

You can read more about the Dentou Kougeishi here (Japanese).

About the F&F
Usually, knives produced in Sakai, even by the best guys, do not automatically mean the best fit and finish that we, the KKFers, pay particular attention. For instance, the spine and choil are likely not rounded nor polished. The handle is sometimes installed rather badly. Apart from the QC problem, is perhaps due to that the Japanese chefs traditionally do not care too much about these aspects. For Syousin, we specifically asked for the top F&F. For example, spine and choil are rounded and polished in all Syousin knives. In fact the choil of the Sakura has some of the best work that I have seen.
sakai-takayuki-syousin-sakura-choil-ploish.jpg

About the handle
I also want to take time to talk about the handle that comes with the Sakura. As a keen woodworker, I am often quite picky about the detail of the handle, such as the wood, the finish, the straightness after installation. I particular dislike the through mortise and tenon joint employed by the traditional Japanese WA handles (uneven tenon), and the burn in process can sometimes ruin the knife entry point to the handle (badly burnt). I much prefer the custom handles that we often seen here in KKF made by our own hobbyists and pro craftsmen. I wanted something like those. As a result, after closely working with a handle manufacturer that are willing to listen and accommodate our requests for the past few months, I am proud to offer you the K&S semi-custom handles.
Why I call it "Semi-custom"? Well, they are manufactured accordingly our specifications (custom) and are made in batches (semi). So while I may not have a unique handle for each individual knives, I do offer these handles to you, which are normally only seen in ultra high-end Japanese
kitchen knives, and I offer them with K&S / Syousin quality: blind mortise and tenon construction ensures the knife entry to the handle is a neat slot; the polish job is insanely neat (no polyurethane) and use the best wood that I can get my hands to.

sakai-takayuki-syousin-sakura-handle-1.jpg

Standard handle that comes with every Syousin Sakura Gyuto

sakai-takayuki-syousin-sakura-handle-detail.jpg

Neatly installed handle with blind mortise and tenon construction

_DSC5083.jpg

Designs of K&S Semi-custom handles, you will see them fitted in various K&S knives

Accessories / Packaging:
Comes with an elegant black knife pouch and presented in a Kiri wooden box. Saya will be offered in the future (price is likely to go up as well).
sakai-takayuki-syousin-sakura-pouch.jpg

Price:
So I have said enough about how good the Syousin Sakura is, and how proud I am able to finally offer this line to you. How about the price?

AU$490 / US$399 shipped worldwide via DHL. They are available now with limited quantity. It is even cheaper for those who signed up to receive my 5% discount. I will start a passaround for both the traditional shape and kiritsuke shape gytuo, please check out the other thread.

And they are available now
http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-sakura/

sakai-takayuki-syousin-sakura-lots-2.jpg

Really nice knives James. Very tasteful semi custom handles too. At this price I'm sure you'll sell these quick. I'm a huge fan of wide double bevel knives and these are about the nicest I've seen. Personally I'd jump at the chance to be in a passaround for the standard tipped model. I have a couple of wide Double bevel Kono. ginsans that are my favorite and would be curious how these compare.

Yeah I just picked up a 240 gyuto. Couldn't wait for the pass around nor risk them selling out. Gorgeous looking knives here.

And if there's a chance to get mine with the blonde ferrule and end cap I'd Greatly appreciate it! Wasn't too sure if that could be an option.

I'd get one but my budget is too stretched now. They seem very nice.

These look great! What material is the cladding?

Wow James these are really nice! Seems like a pretty decent price too as always. Love the handles. As you said the f&f looks top notch!

James these do look superb. I'm a lefty and from the choil photo, it looks like the grinds are fairly asymmetric in favour of right handers. Do you see any problems in lefties using these? I'd imagine the food release wouldn't be quite as good as it is for righties.

Am very interested, but also a lefty, so would like to hear response to prior query by Mangelwurzel. Also, any options as to handles, or are they currently only as pictured on your website?

Wow, looks like a great package. F&F, knife specs, handles. You shouldn't have these in stock for long I would think. Would love to get some feedback on usage once someone gets one.

James these do look superb. I'm a lefty and from the choil photo, it looks like the grinds are fairly asymmetric in favour of right handers. Do you see any problems in lefties using these? I'd imagine the food release wouldn't be quite as good as it is for righties.

I am not a lefty so I can't tell 100%, but from my observation, the grind is actually rather close to 50/50 with a small emphasize towards the right hand use.
Here is the choil for the kiritsuke shaped gyuto
_DSC5078__94455.1420551091.1280.1280.jpg

here is the back side of the blade, showing the wide bevel as well, but the back side is a tiny bit flatter (less convexity) than the front.
Sakai%20Takayuki%20Syousin%20Sakura%20regular%20gyuto%20back.jpg

Yeah I just picked up a 240 gyuto. Couldn't wait for the pass around nor risk them selling out. Gorgeous looking knives here.

And if there's a chance to get mine with the blonde ferrule and end cap I'd Greatly appreciate it! Wasn't too sure if that could be an option.

Thank for the quick order Marc, it was the first one!
To answer the handle availability question, at this stage, all the handles are black horn. There are future plans to to offer more choices including australian ringed gidgee, blonde horn ferrule, australian hardwood burls, but it is worth to note that all these stuff are really hard to come by and I can't afford to make them in big batches. It will have to be special orders later down the track as we are still trying to meet the demand of our standard lines first.

That said, I know that you like the blonde ferrule Marc, and the second one in this pic is probably what you after. I have one of this as sample and it is for a 270 gyuto. I will keep it for you ;)
_DSC5083.jpg

received another shipment of handles but blades are still not here!

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1420756001.762048.jpg
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1420756062.175408.jpg

Yeah, I'd like that handle on my 270...Please?

And I was able to break on the 240 today. Nothing shy of Amazing- Everything I wanted the Fujiyama to be

Not the ebony one anymore? I just placed the order for the blonde+ebony one but looks like it is now your ex girl friend :bigeek:

Yeah that list is quite long actually. But How Could I Resist That Sexy Handle Above??!!

On another note, I have to say great work on this line of Knives. I was pretty excited when I saw the initial conversation on these and thought for certain I would be let down as my expectations were so high. Now after spending a couple hours with this gyuto I can safely say that expectations were not only met but completely blown away.
I may get excited easily, but seldom does that excitement stick around. This line has definitely surpassed the bar and has me more than just excited.

So cheers, James! Great work!!

Yeah, I'd like that handle on my 270...Please?

And I was able to break on the 240 today. Nothing shy of Amazing- Everything I wanted the Fujiyama to be

Looking at buying perhaps a Kono Fujiyama Blue #2 or this knife. Could you expand a little more on what was missing in the Fujiyama?

This knife (the one I have at least) has a taller heel, thicker spine, taller profile, better performing geometry and more robust handle.
The first thing I cut with mine was parsnip, which was hardly a challenge for this knife. Then I diced rutabaga. And that's when I was blown away. The knife just literally whisped through the root veggies, no resistance, no wedging and no sticking at all. Same with celeriac and carrots. Apples and onions.
The Fujiyama might have a little more pizaz aesthetically, but for my money I'm staying with the Sakura

Handles handles handles.

Fresh arrived, Available as an upgrade for the Sakura.
Double or triple silver nickel spacer with horn ferrule, matched with the exotic Australian ringed gidgee.
IMG_0377.JPG

Back