Knives & Stones Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura 240mm Gyuto Passaround in the US

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have now formally launched my Sakai Takayuki Syousin Gyuto (check it out here), and I want everybody to have a test drive. Since there is a honyaki going around here in OZ, I am sending the pair (regular shaped gyuto and kiritsuke shaped gyuto) across to the US. Jim (chinacats) is having them first and he is in NC (I assume it means North Carolina!), I would like them to stay in the east coast first before it travels to the great west, just for the sake of saving travelling time and maybe some shipping $$.

I will post them out in the next few days and finalize the list before Jim finishes with them, please register your interest here along with which state you are in so that I can arrange accordingly.

The terms:
  • All US KKF members registered before 6/Jan/2015, please register your interest here, I will update the list accordingly.
  • I will send out the knife to Jim (Chinacats) first, and finalize the list before he pass them to the next member in line.
  • The list will be arranged according to your location, which helps the logistics of the knife.
  • You have a week to play with it, please do sharpen it if you feel there is a need to but please make sure you know what you are doing.
  • You are responsible to pack it well and post it to the next member inline, insured.
  • Please contact the next member via PM and arrange the postage accordingly. If you are the last person on the list, please post it back to me.

Enjoy!

I would love to try these out, in New Orleans, about two blocks from the east bank of the MS. That makes me in the east right?

I'm in Maryland. And honestly I decided i couldn't wait for the pass around to get my hands on the gyuto so I just bought one. It's what I do I guess while I'm stuck on the snow covered tarmac waiting for the plane to get de-iced...

I'd still like to try out the kiritsuke though so keep me in line!

I would love to get on on this. I've been after a wide bevel gyuto for a while. I am in Portland, Oregon.

if the knife ends up coming through Maryland i would love to be included . I am in baltimore

Just want to give an update:
The pair of gyutos are in the US territory now. I am pretty sure Jim will get it early next week. Very excited/anxious to hear the comments.
I also want to add that, if you are part of the passaround, and decided to actually order one after trying, you will be credited back (as store credit) the amount you spent on the postage (of sending the knife to the next person inline). Just another reason to try!:D

3rd in Portland!

Man, maybe we need a Portland get together. :D

I need to come see your cheffery spot regardless, Patrick!

If it's not too late, I'd love to be included. Dallas, Texas.

Just want to update the thread. The knives have landed here in the states and imo they are going to be well received. I've just had a chance to use them for dinner tonight but early indications are very good.

Just saw this... I'd like to participate if it's not too late (Washington, DC)

I am going to bow out of this passaround. I just broke open my 240 Gyuto today and it is quite simply amazing. You guys are in for a treat!!
Plus I'm not really into the Kiritsuke, solely for the shorter heel height alone.

Well this sounds promising! Go on...

...sorry I know I'm late to the party for you, but for others I'll throw in a few quick notes. The gyuto arrived with a decent edge and the K-tip just needed a bit of stropping on a 5k stone to freshen up before use.

The K-tipped gyuto originally captured my attention and think I'll add one to my collection at some point, but had to go back to what I (think I) know which is the straight gyuto.

I haven't had a knife from Sakai in my collection (to my knowledge) so this one comes in a bit shorter at ~232 (~230 K-tip) than what I am used to for a 240 so I believe that I may prefer a 270 in this line. But the kicker comes with the weight--it's right at 248g (242g k-tip) which is quite hefty. I would attribute some of that to the handle which is on the larger size--perfect for my tastes though it may be on the large side for some? Not sure of the wood, but the finish leaves a good bit of grip even when wet and is complemented by a nice piece of somewhat marbled horn. Balance point is just forward of the heel--again in my case I would likely go with a 270 which would likely move the balance point out to a slightly more familiar (to me) position. Height at heel is ~48 on gyuto (45 K-tip). The spine tapers to a very thin tip on both knives for detail work.

The profile is nice for push/pull cuts and chopping--strictly personal here so depends on what you like. I should mention here that the K-tip is really flat and that is what captured my interest initially.

The finish is interesting and I would wind up enjoying it until the first thinning and then going with something easier (for me). I only say this because the grind marks on the top of the knife run diagonally and the lines below that (secondary bevel) run parallel to the edge. Really has a cool look but my lazy ass wouldn't be able to maintain it.

Shanop's pictures of the choil in the first post of his review are better than I can take and do more to describe the grind than I can as well. The knife cuts great and has very good release without being overly convexed. I experienced a slight bit of wedging on large carrots and large onions but nothing annoying. I really like the grind whatever it is...again the knife just cuts really well.

So far I've used it on carrots, onions, garlic, beets, potatoes, acorn squash, chicken, pork, and ginger with no complaints.:happymug:

That's it so far...

Thanks very much for the detailed review Jim, really appreciate your input :D
I will come up with the list today.

James

Jim is helping me composing the list, it is likely to go to Mucho Bocho and Bill13 who are also in NC first, and possibly another member before making their way to Karring (mr drinky) in Minneapolis to join the knife gathering party. After which the passaround will continue as normal.

Will keep you posted.

Knives have shipped and should be in Raleigh in a few days.

Enjoy MB!

Back