Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Historical Finds (pic heavy)

Impressive finds . Did you refinish those knives?

Most I find have some sort of patina, so there is some restoration involved. Only the ones with the polished bevels have been thinned or completely refinished. Most have only been lightly sanded with 400 and 800 grit sand paper to remove rust/patina. I have since thinned the Forgecraft Chef knife and might post a photo of that later on.

New find that I picked up last month. A vintage Emerson Electric fan. I had been eyeing the vintage fans that I see around, but none were in the price range I wanted. This one turned up and I decided to restore it as a project. It runs well, but needed some TLC. Here is a photo or two of what it looked like when I got it.

In the shop.
    [IMG][/IMG]

After some cleaning.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Full restoration photos to come.

I hope no one minds me adding a few non-knife products in here. If so, I will stop posting other items.

Original Knerd of Knives
    You're good! Can't wait to see the fan when you're done.
    "When you're driving behind a Prius, there's 100% chance that nothing exciting will happen" -Karring M.

Finished Product. Took me about 3 weeks off and on with a little help to get it restored. The cage badge and the label badge both did not get restoration, just cleaning. The entire fan was painted, blades polished, and new period cord added. Runs well at all 3 speeds and oscillates great. Fun project and great piece of functional décor for my home.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I apologize for the huge photos.

Very cool

Thread update for some new finds.

This is an older American Cutlery (if I remember right) carving set that I got for a great price. The blade looked almost unused, which is unusual for older carving sets. Most of the time I see blades steeled and sharpened to shivs almost. This is not the most ornate set, which I liked because it is not too flashy. The blade did have about a 1/16" crack in the blade on the cutting edge. I sharpened about half of it out then decided just to leave it because this will be mostly for cutting cooked foods, so it shouldn't affect performance too much. They need some restoration, and I have gotten started on the blade and working on the antler handles. Pretty cool set for only $15.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Another carving knife found in an antique store. I cannot find a stamp on it, so for now it is a no-name carbon carving knife. I liked the shape and the quality seemed there for about $12 so I took a chance. This one is cleaned up now, but has not been sharpened yet. It has a recurve to it, so I might need some help from the sharpmaker for this one. The handle appears to have an integral bolter, but the neck is quite narrow. Interesting knife that appeared to be well made. As you can see the geometry isn't too bad, should cut quite well. Another slicer to add to my collection.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by KitchenCommander View Post
    Thread update for some new finds.

This is an older American Cutlery (if I remember right) carving set that I got for a great price. The blade looked almost unused, which is unusual for older carving sets. Most of the time I see blades steeled and sharpened to shivs almost. This is not the most ornate set, which I liked because it is not too flashy. The blade did have about a 1/16" crack in the blade on the cutting edge. I sharpened about half of it out then decided just to leave it because this will be mostly for cutting cooked foods, so it shouldn't affect performance too much. They need some restoration, and I have gotten started on the blade and working on the antler handles. Pretty cool set for only $15.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Another carving knife found in an antique store. I cannot find a stamp on it, so for now it is a no-name carbon carving knife. I liked the shape and the quality seemed there for about $12 so I took a chance. This one is cleaned up now, but has not been sharpened yet. It has a recurve to it, so I might need some help from the sharpmaker for this one. The handle appears to have an integral bolter, but the neck is quite narrow. Interesting knife that appeared to be well made. As you can see the geometry isn't too bad, should cut quite well. Another slicer to add to my collection.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Handle looks to be in pretty good shape on that second slicer, too - and agree on the geometry, surprisingly good taper to relatively thin. Good find!

Update for some new stuff.

Double bit Plumb axe from Pawn Shop. Not sure if both blades are supposed to have the same shape or not. This one has a flat blade on one side, and a more circular profile on the other. Could be bad sharpening, but it didn't appear to be in that bad of shape, so I took it home.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Collins 3.5 lb boys axe (I think). This one was given to me by a co-worker. Need to find a new handle for it, but besides being a little rusty it is in great condition. Doesn't appear to have been sharpened all that much, so plenty of life left.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I like my old forgecraft knife very much. It's not too hard, and not too soft. I have chipped it out hacking chicken bones, but with light pressure have been able to separate the joints of poultry with no chips.

I honestly think these cheaper old carbon knives can perform as good as Japanese super hard steels. It's just there is no allure to something rustic, practical and non exotic.

Somewhere there is mention that some of the forgecraft blades were 59 rockwell.

The softer carbon is nice, because it can easily be touched up, two or three strops and you get fresh steel. Maybe they will wear faster, but they won't chip as much.