Yogurt, Sphereical-ish....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
Carefully measuring water to match the 2g alginate packet I have.
16032317077_711d85dfb7.jpg

Measuring the packet to ensure that it is as labelled
16216271991_ae3a8e6847.jpg

Degassing the blended alginate, thanks to MuchoBocho for the foodsaver mason jar attachment idea!
16217347422_d689cef034.jpg

Spheres...well, blobs...of yogurt resting in the bath for 2 minutes
16030783210_e2d82de793.jpg

Got 9 sphe-blobs...that...tasted a lot like yogurt...
15595738404_0259f603a7.jpg

They are much sturdier than I would have expected...
15595737594_d5281b1a9c.jpg

I think I'm going to try it again but add some raita masala and make them much smaller to see how that affects texture. Still not exactly sure how I would use these...or to what effect.

To get a cleaner sphere you can try using half sphere molds.

To get a cleaner sphere you can try using half sphere molds.

Yeah, I figured that out on the last couple of them :) I think I'll go smaller next time too. The alginate bath was much thicker than I'd expected.

small molds and freeze your mix in them, slightly warm you S.A bath and let the spheres thaw in the bath, best results I have had when I did this stuff.

If I remember it may have been 5g alginate per 1000ml water so 1 full vitaprep was like 10 g. Instead of straight yoghurt, make it into a tzatziki sauce, serve it on thin sliced spiced lamb on top of a pita crostini. Boom! Mini gyros!!

If I remember it may have been 5g alginate per 1000ml water so 1 full vitaprep was like 10 g. Instead of straight yoghurt, make it into a tzatziki sauce, serve it on thin sliced spiced lamb on top of a pita crostini. Boom! Mini gyros!!

I was headed a more Indian direction than that...but this gave me an idea. Thinly sliced Tandoori chicken (I always use boneless, skinless thighs for this) over toasted roti. Now that I'm thinking finger foods, several ideas have come to me, actually.

Oh man... I would eat a million of those.

Back