I have been working on a couple of knives for a while now. The yanagi was a similar blade to the blade in my refurb blog http://***********************/2010/11...irst-blog.html and it was in pretty bad shape when I got it. Due to me being on vacation it has been a bit on and off, but here are finally some pictures from the project.
Outlining the sayas
Carving wood that is not straight grain is a real PITA
Clamping the pieces together to test progress on the fit of the saya. No glueing with the knife in the block!
Here you can see the finished handles and sayas. Both sayas are made of the same thin lumber curly maple board. I have used a set of spirit based wood dyes to colour match the sayas to the handles. It took a bit of fiddling and testing on blank pieces of wood, but I hope I mananged to match them fairly well. The Koa was the most tricky wood to color match. I also used a more burly piece for the sakimaru with burly handle and a wavy piece for the yanagi with the curly handle.
I really love the musk ox horn on this handle. I think it works great with the wood in the handle.
I have fixed all overgrinding issues on the yanagi, straightening the blade, recovering the shinogi line, lengthened the heel and polished the choil and spine, polished the face and fingerstone polished the blade road, and sharpened the blade on JNATs finishing the edges on a very fine size #24 Atagoyama kiita from Hide. I have given both blades a very light hamaguriba to increase the strength of the edge.