Mysterious Patina Disappearance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently took a 2 1/2 hr flight with some of my knives in my checked bag. One knife in particular had a light blue patina from about 3 weeks of cutting mostly veggies, but some raw and cooked proteins. When I arrived at my destination and checked all of my carbon knives (out of fear, mostly) the blue patina was all gone.

This knife is a Suisin Gyuto in SK steel. I'm not mad or anything, but I was wondering if someone might be able to explain how this happened or may have experienced something similar.

what type of plane? do you oil your knives, have you olied them in the past, do you have a wood saya?

haha the reason i asked and then edited my questions is cause if it was a larger, newer plane that has a better climate control, then lets say it was warm enough for the natural and added oils in the saya to leach out on to the knife the oil can take away minor patina.

Obviously the flight crew saw your lovely knives being loaded and got them out to do some in flight cooking, then cleaned them (a little too) thoroughly and put them away.

Either that or foo fighters.

No oil on the blade and plane was relatively new, I believe.

Have oiled the Suisin in the past (food grade mineral oil), but living in a dry climate, I haven't found it necessary. Should not have been any oil on the blade before the flight.

Climate in the cargo hold is similar to the passenger compartment. Pressurized to 8000 ft worst case and low humidity. The environmental equivalent to a dry, cool day in a western ski resort. There is no reason I can think of for a reductive reaction to occur which would remove patina.

Weird.

Cheers,

Rick

has to be something on the blade that took it away b/c of the pressurization no?

The 2 knives that just showed up from Australia had quite a bit less patina than the pictures of them before travel.

Latest posts

Back