Quantcast
Nenox Corian/S1 Gyuto
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nenox Corian/S1 Gyuto

Nenox Corian/S1 Gyuto

I'm giving serious thought to a Nenox Corian Gyuto. It's always been a "unicorn" knife for me... the first chef that inspired me used one.

I was wondering if anyone here has one and can comment on the actual blade length? I'm debating between the 240 and 270... leaning towards 270 though.

Pics would be nice as well

Cheers.

Please post results, I have been wanting one for awhile, but Gator's not to rave review on this knife kept me from getting it. I think he mentioned it as having only vg-1 steel too. Edge retention left much to be desired also.

I don't see why the edge retention should suck... VG1 is a19c27 clone and Suisin makes an awesome knife out of 19c27 and so does Tadatsuna out of gin3. For the price you pay I'd expect a top notch heat treatment Nenohi. Having never used the nenox I can't comment based on personal experience. Masaharu Morimoto seems to like his nenox knives.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    Masaharu Morimoto seems to like his nenox knives.
    They're provided for him on Iron Chef America. He also endorses Henckels Miyabi, but I doubt he uses either brand in his restaurants or at home. Just a hunch, though.

Gator's Review

Only one man's opinion, but it was enough to keep me from buying one.

He's got photos of his well used knives in his cookbook, including a pair of pretty worn down nenoxs. I seriously doubt they're provided from him by iron chef... I don't see anyone else endorsing nenox on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    I seriously doubt they're provided from him by iron chef... I don't see anyone else endorsing nenox on the show.
    You're right, they aren't provided for him directly by Iron Chef, but they are provided for him (from Nenohi) to use. Morimoto's staff has specifically stated they have a deal with Nenohi. Endorsement deals don't imply you love the product.

Also, given that Michael Simon and Cat Cora--as well as many challengers--can all be seen rocking Nenox (who also make reference to their knives being used by Iron Chefs in ad copy, and who also produce an Iron Chef Sakai line), it should be fairly apparent that Nenohi has some sort of arrangement with Iron Chef. Call me a cynic on that one, though--it might just be that all these people love their $600 VG-1 knives.

Morimoto has been using Nenox for years. Look at the old Iron Chef Japan. The last episode of the original Iron Chef Japan was shot in 1999. Morimoto was using Nenox back then. As I recall, Iron Chef Sakai also used Nenox knives.

A lot of people have really liked their Nenoxes. From what I also recall reading, thinning a Nenox slightly greatly improved performance.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Everyone is entitled to a review and opinion, and I think they rock. I have two though not in corian.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Morimoto was using Nenox back then. As I recall, Iron Chef Sakai also used Nenox knives.
    Like I said, Morimoto's executive chef says they have a deal with Nenohi, and Sakai has (had) his own brand of Nenox knives. Endorsement deals can go on for decades. Either way, it's a lot of conjecture and I only mean to cast doubt on any sort of conclusions drawn about celebrity preferences based on what they use on television. What "so and so uses" is the last criteria when judging a product in the commercial age.

Just being pragmatic (or cynical). Call it Devil's Advocate, or just being cranky this morning 'cuz the lady at the coffee stand messed up my order. Don't mean any offense.

There are Nenox haters out there but I don't really understand why. I love them and use one of the three I own almost daily.
    If you are thinking about it, do it.

+ Reply to Thread