Quantcast
Nenox Corian/S1 Gyuto - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nenox Corian/S1 Gyuto

I have a Nenox G petty. LOVE it. My favorite knife. No problems with the edge in terms of sharpness or retention. I would hope a gyuto would perform just as well.

-AJ

I have a NENOX S1-KARIN and really love it
    when i first got it years ago they were under $400 and it came needing the work of Dave to bring out the sweet edge .
    i think the large part of the argument is price now what else could i get for $500.
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    but I doubt he uses either brand in his restaurants or at home. Just a hunch, though. .
    IIRC, in a No Reservations episode in Japan, Tony accompanied Morimoto when he fetched a custom made knife from a knifemaker in Sakai.

I remember that episode ... I don't remember the maker

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    I remember that episode ... I don't remember the maker
    I believe the maker was Inotada.

japantool-iida has them for sale.

I would have to believe that Gator's blade was a Lemon,his was the only bad review I have seen.Edge retension was never big on my list in what I look for in a blade.The one I handled was very nice,one of the few high end blades that I have not owned.

lots of mixed review, love and hate for nenox. I have 3 nenox and so far they're my most used one at work. the steel is very tough and after I sent mine to Dave for thinning, it's a killer in my sushi bar now. The only downside for me is the current crazy price. 285mm corian suji for $600+.

it is a possibility, and many will have different perspectives and experiences, and look for different things when purchasing a knife. Thats why forums are great with different opinions, experiences, and conclusions being expressed from different perspectives, and anyone can share many different view points, when actions/methods are logged, it helps others who take different steps to come to different conclusions without contradicting each others outcome.

for me, edge retention/geometries becomes key during production. if I can have someone do 3hrs of work in 2-2.5hrs, then I have raised production and efficiency. I might lean towards someones experience processing 5k lbs per week as opposed to someone doing 50lbs per week. So seeking conclusions of those who do similar work load would be preferable to me, while someone who does less then that might be blown away by edge retention.

Good Point! goodchef1, although I am not in that category... I can say having purchased a S-1 Quince Gyuto a while back was a good decision.. I was one of the first decent knives in my arsenal and has performed admirably.. I only try to keep the handle waxed regularly just for precaution... I later on purchased a S-1 Custom 165mm nenox Yo-deba that is a pleasure to use! It plows through tough jobs like a small sherman tank!

Count me in as pro-nenohi/nenox....

o/t from o/p - own a 230mm suji for a few years. saw iron chef Sakai peel an apple with it.
    it is the go-to knife to cut melons and small pineapples. enjoy the knife, no problems for home cook.