Nenox Corian/S1 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Messy Jesse

Reaction score
I'm giving serious thought to a Nenox Corian Gyuto. It's always been a "unicorn" knife for me... the first chef that inspired me used one.

I was wondering if anyone here has one and can comment on the actual blade length? I'm debating between the 240 and 270... leaning towards 270 though.

Pics would be nice as well :)

Cheers.

Please post results, I have been wanting one for awhile, but Gator's not to rave review on this knife kept me from getting it. I think he mentioned it as having only vg-1 steel too. Edge retention left much to be desired also.

I don't see why the edge retention should suck... VG1 is a19c27 clone and Suisin makes an awesome knife out of 19c27 and so does Tadatsuna out of gin3. For the price you pay I'd expect a top notch heat treatment Nenohi. Having never used the nenox I can't comment based on personal experience. Masaharu Morimoto seems to like his nenox knives.

He's got photos of his well used knives in his cookbook, including a pair of pretty worn down nenoxs. I seriously doubt they're provided from him by iron chef... I don't see anyone else endorsing nenox on the show.

I seriously doubt they're provided from him by iron chef... I don't see anyone else endorsing nenox on the show.
You're right, they aren't provided for him directly by Iron Chef, but they are provided for him (from Nenohi) to use. Morimoto's staff has specifically stated they have a deal with Nenohi. Endorsement deals don't imply you love the product.

Also, given that Michael Simon and Cat Cora--as well as many challengers--can all be seen rocking Nenox (who also make reference to their knives being used by Iron Chefs in ad copy, and who also produce an Iron Chef Sakai line), it should be fairly apparent that Nenohi has some sort of arrangement with Iron Chef. Call me a cynic on that one, though--it might just be that all these people love their $600 VG-1 knives.

Morimoto has been using Nenox for years. Look at the old Iron Chef Japan. The last episode of the original Iron Chef Japan was shot in 1999. Morimoto was using Nenox back then. As I recall, Iron Chef Sakai also used Nenox knives.

A lot of people have really liked their Nenoxes. From what I also recall reading, thinning a Nenox slightly greatly improved performance.

Morimoto was using Nenox back then. As I recall, Iron Chef Sakai also used Nenox knives.
Like I said, Morimoto's executive chef says they have a deal with Nenohi, and Sakai has (had) his own brand of Nenox knives. Endorsement deals can go on for decades. Either way, it's a lot of conjecture and I only mean to cast doubt on any sort of conclusions drawn about celebrity preferences based on what they use on television. What "so and so uses" is the last criteria when judging a product in the commercial age.

Just being pragmatic (or cynical). Call it Devil's Advocate, or just being cranky this morning 'cuz the lady at the coffee stand messed up my order. Don't mean any offense.

There are Nenox haters out there but I don't really understand why. I love them and use one of the three I own almost daily.
If you are thinking about it, do it.

I have a Nenox G petty. LOVE it. My favorite knife. No problems with the edge in terms of sharpness or retention. I would hope a gyuto would perform just as well.

-AJ

I have a NENOX S1-KARIN and really love it
when i first got it years ago they were under $400 and it came needing the work of Dave to bring out the sweet edge .
i think the large part of the argument is price now what else could i get for $500.
:brb:

but I doubt he uses either brand in his restaurants or at home. Just a hunch, though. ;).

IIRC, in a No Reservations episode in Japan, Tony accompanied Morimoto when he fetched a custom made knife from a knifemaker in Sakai.

I remember that episode ... I don't remember the maker

I would have to believe that Gator's blade was a Lemon,his was the only bad review I have seen.Edge retension was never big on my list in what I look for in a blade.The one I handled was very nice,one of the few high end blades that I have not owned.

lots of mixed review, love and hate for nenox. I have 3 nenox and so far they're my most used one at work. the steel is very tough and after I sent mine to Dave for thinning, it's a killer in my sushi bar now. The only downside for me is the current crazy price. 285mm corian suji for $600+.

it is a possibility, and many will have different perspectives and experiences, and look for different things when purchasing a knife. Thats why forums are great with different opinions, experiences, and conclusions being expressed from different perspectives, and anyone can share many different view points, when actions/methods are logged, it helps others who take different steps to come to different conclusions without contradicting each others outcome.

for me, edge retention/geometries becomes key during production. if I can have someone do 3hrs of work in 2-2.5hrs, then I have raised production and efficiency. I might lean towards someones experience processing 5k lbs per week as opposed to someone doing 50lbs per week. So seeking conclusions of those who do similar work load would be preferable to me, while someone who does less then that might be blown away by edge retention.

:hungry:Good Point! goodchef1, although I am not in that category... I can say having purchased a S-1 Quince Gyuto a while back was a good decision.. I was one of the first decent knives in my arsenal and has performed admirably.. I only try to keep the handle waxed regularly just for precaution... I later on purchased a S-1 Custom 165mm nenox Yo-deba that is a pleasure to use! It plows through tough jobs like a small sherman tank!

Count me in as pro-nenohi/nenox.... :cool2:

o/t from o/p - own a 230mm suji for a few years. saw iron chef Sakai peel an apple with it.
it is the go-to knife to cut melons and small pineapples. enjoy the knife, no problems for home cook.

Back