Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how about a burke

Hi Joe - Keep me in mind for your Santoku!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, and appreciate your way of doing business. Make YOUR knives and hope there will be enough folks that like what you like.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Joe View Post
    Hello All,

I am Joe. I am looking to make a few kitchen knives. I have been working on a few designs based off my experiences with Epic Edge, my father, and fifteen years of knife shows. These models will be designed roughly on the software program known as Solidworks. I will post a few of my ideas soon.

I will be honest with all of you though. I am a full time college student spending 14 hrs a day six days a week learning. This semester poses to be my toughest as it consists of Calculus 3, Differential Equations, Intro to Coding, and Physics 2 with Calculus. This and my beautiful mate will take up a good section of my time.

The point is that I will be working on my time when I can. Due to these parameters I will produce a knife and post photos of it on the forums. If someone likes it they may inquire further and possibly buy it. However, I will likely not have time to custom cater a knife for anyone nor will I be very willing to alter a finished product.

With that in mind I am very open to discuss/consider ideas, features, and criticism. I may not listen for reasons of my own, but will respect those who respect me and my decisions.

I look forward to making good friends and performing knives for an affordable price. Thank you all for your interest and time.

-Joe
    Good Luck Joe

DE's was a painful class. One I would gladly have not done. Calc 3 was a breeze tho. Its the specialty calc's that will get you in later years.

Don't get to excited about things getting either, it looks like your one of a math/cs/physics major and things don't get easier.

Wait till you take some combinatorics and linear programming classes if you are in CS that stuff is fun... says the nerd in me.

Can't wait to see some of your knives!

how about a burke

Hello all,

Just made the blade for a ~180mm Santoku. Also designed this ~270mm Gyuto way too early this morning

Any news you wanna share Joe?

I wish I had some good news to share about my knives Currently, I've been spending my free time getting firewood put up this winter for friends, family and myself. In the mean time, I have been putting much of my focus into my classes this semester (doing really well by the way). However, I have been thinking of the three blades I started with the intent on making some time to work on them. I have a heat treatment or two left on the blades before I can really get working on them. I am sorry for the intermittent posts, but I will try to keep everyone updated on a more regular basis. Thanks for all the support!

There is some news. I am currently half way through dead week (week before finals) and will be done with my semester by Wednesday next week. It was a tough semester, but gets me out of the fundamentals and into interesting stuff. For those interested I will be studying statics, thermodynamics, materials science , and technical communications next semester.

As far as knives go, I am going to finish the three I have been working on over Christmas break and get another few going. I will try to get some sort of picture blog going so others may see my progress. Thanks everyone for you interest. It keeps me inspired. Also just bought some dark quilted maple, may put on large chefs knife or paring knife.

Sounds like an ME degree. Statics should be fun--a cantilever beam is just a dull knife with an ugly profile.