how about a burke

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Burke

Reaction score
My oldest son is thinking about making some midtechish knives for the kitchen. 52100 multiple quench western or wa handle 240 and 270 mm gyoto, 130-150 mm petty, 250-270 mm sujihiki and 230 mm santoku. I told him that I would help as needed and that I would put out some feelers here to see what kind of interest there was in this. so what do yall think. prices would be in the 150-450 dollar range.

if his knives could turn out anything like yours I would definitely interested, (price considering of course). Most interested in a suji.

excited for his project!

Ummm, yes, I think there would be a lot of interest in that. If only your son knew someone who knew their way around 52100.....hmmmm.....:D

I'm in. Get him on the board to discuss profile etc. The interaction will create interest.

I would be interested in a western 240 gyuto (lookin like your avatar) preferable stainless clad, but either way is fine.

A "Baby-Burke" could be interesting. If they are top notch cutters with a bit of outsourcing, I might go for one. If the cutting performance (grind) isn't great, I would certainly pass.

A wa-gyuto is certainly interesting for me. At the very least, a discussion here could reap benefits for everyone :)

A "Baby-Burke" could be interesting. If they are top notch cutters with a bit of outsourcing, I might go for one. If the cutting performance (grind) isn't great, I would certainly pass.

I'll see if he is interested in doing a 240ish western gyoto for a pass around. send it to everyone interested.

I would be interested in a western 240 gyuto (lookin like your avatar) preferable stainless clad, but either way is fine.

Joe's will all be 52100 in the beginning. until he gets to where he can forge weld stainless and then stainless to carbon.

Put me on the top of the list Bill that way your son's knife will not get to home sick, be in good company for sure.

I am in as well. I always love to try out new knives and meat new makers. I will be needing that knife from Bill first though!

Hello All,

I am Joe. I am looking to make a few kitchen knives. I have been working on a few designs based off my experiences with Epic Edge, my father, and fifteen years of knife shows. These models will be designed roughly on the software program known as Solidworks. I will post a few of my ideas soon.

I will be honest with all of you though. I am a full time college student spending 14 hrs a day six days a week learning. This semester poses to be my toughest as it consists of Calculus 3, Differential Equations, Intro to Coding, and Physics 2 with Calculus. This and my beautiful mate will take up a good section of my time.

The point is that I will be working on my time when I can. Due to these parameters I will produce a knife and post photos of it on the forums. If someone likes it they may inquire further and possibly buy it. However, I will likely not have time to custom cater a knife for anyone nor will I be very willing to alter a finished product.

With that in mind I am very open to discuss/consider ideas, features, and criticism. I may not listen for reasons of my own, but will respect those who respect me and my decisions.

I look forward to making good friends and performing knives for an affordable price. Thank you all for your interest and time.

-Joe

Hi Joe - Keep me in mind for your Santoku!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with, and appreciate your way of doing business. Make YOUR knives and hope there will be enough folks that like what you like.

Hello All,

I am Joe. I am looking to make a few kitchen knives. I have been working on a few designs based off my experiences with Epic Edge, my father, and fifteen years of knife shows. These models will be designed roughly on the software program known as Solidworks. I will post a few of my ideas soon.

I will be honest with all of you though. I am a full time college student spending 14 hrs a day six days a week learning. This semester poses to be my toughest as it consists of Calculus 3, Differential Equations, Intro to Coding, and Physics 2 with Calculus. This and my beautiful mate will take up a good section of my time.

The point is that I will be working on my time when I can. Due to these parameters I will produce a knife and post photos of it on the forums. If someone likes it they may inquire further and possibly buy it. However, I will likely not have time to custom cater a knife for anyone nor will I be very willing to alter a finished product.

With that in mind I am very open to discuss/consider ideas, features, and criticism. I may not listen for reasons of my own, but will respect those who respect me and my decisions.

I look forward to making good friends and performing knives for an affordable price. Thank you all for your interest and time.

-Joe

Good Luck Joe

DE's was a painful class. One I would gladly have not done. Calc 3 was a breeze tho. Its the specialty calc's that will get you in later years.

Don't get to excited about things getting either, it looks like your one of a math/cs/physics major and things don't get easier. :)

Wait till you take some combinatorics and linear programming classes if you are in CS that stuff is fun... says the nerd in me.

Can't wait to see some of your knives!

Hello all,

Just made the blade for a ~180mm Santoku. Also designed this ~270mm Gyuto way too early this morning :D

284549_10150258670944315_762989314_7795541_6333257_n.jpg

I wish I had some good news to share about my knives :) Currently, I've been spending my free time getting firewood put up this winter for friends, family and myself. In the mean time, I have been putting much of my focus into my classes this semester (doing really well by the way). However, I have been thinking of the three blades I started with the intent on making some time to work on them. I have a heat treatment or two left on the blades before I can really get working on them. I am sorry for the intermittent posts, but I will try to keep everyone updated on a more regular basis. Thanks for all the support!

There is some news. I am currently half way through dead week (week before finals) and will be done with my semester by Wednesday next week. It was a tough semester, but gets me out of the fundamentals and into interesting stuff. For those interested I will be studying statics, thermodynamics, materials science ;), and technical communications next semester.

As far as knives go, I am going to finish the three I have been working on over Christmas break and get another few going. I will try to get some sort of picture blog going so others may see my progress. Thanks everyone for you interest. It keeps me inspired. Also just bought some dark quilted maple, may put on large chefs knife or paring knife.

Sounds like an ME degree. Statics should be fun--a cantilever beam is just a dull knife with an ugly profile. :wink:

Latest posts

Back