Looking for a new carbon wa-gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob_loblaw

Reaction score
So I'm seeking some insight from the knowledgeable folks on this forum. I'm looking for a carbon wa-handled gyuto, 240-270mm to add to my home kitchen. Don't currently own a high carbon knife, so this will be my first and I tend to lean to the thinner side of the spectrum.

Some of the knives I'm currently looking at:
Zakuri AS
Watanabe pro
Konosuke Blue #2

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here we go:

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240-270mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$450

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
slicing vegetables, slicing meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
240mm Carbonext Gyuto

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-cut, slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Take a better edge, potentially keep an edge longer.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Wa handle

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Better handle and F+F than my carbonext.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Better food release (if possible), easy to sharpen.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood from boardsmith

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
No

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
N/A

Hi Bob! I love my Watanabe, but unless you order it to be thinner, it will be a beast! I mean that in a good way but you said on the lighter side. I would also look at something like this to give another cool option that will fall more in line with your request.

BTW, the Zakuri knives are also a bit on the beefier side, but considerably more rustic.

Cheers

I would suggest looking into these Syousin Sakuras http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ayuki-Syousin-Sakura-240mm-Gyuto-now-in-stock. The line itself is brand new so their isnt much user feedback yet but Takayuki is a pretty respected brand.

Have a pair of these in hand as of today from passaround. Too early to say much other than YES, these are very nice knives. The price is good and includes extras as well. There is actually a review up in the review section of these exact knives by Shanop.

but since I am not "rolling in the dough" I would go with a Kono Fuju ATM

CoqaVin your pm's are full!

*sorry to hijack briefly just hoping I could get a hold of him this way*

I bit on the Kagekiyo. I figure with the tax return why not treat myself.

Do let us know how you like them - the look awesome and should be great too.

Will do. I'm pretty excited about the splurge, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about putting something this expensive to my stones. I've touched up the edges on my knives a few times but still, they have flat profiles and none of them hold a candle to this.

I almost bought that knife, and you got,a screaming deal. I have the 270 in a standard tip, and just couldn't justify a second one.

I love the knives. I have a 200 petty, a 270 gyuto, and a 270 suji in that line. By far my favorite knives.

I guess Vesteroid could give you some sharpening tips. Bob you scored a very nice knife, great deal. These high bevel type blades are thin behind the edge which makes sharpening fairly easy. No need for any major thinning. I have a Konosuke Fujiyama Blue of similar type. I find it sharpening friendly and a joy to use.

I'll say it again you are getting an excellent hand forged blade.

What kind of stones do you guys use on the primary bevel, do you start off with a medium grit 1k-4k to minimize overgrind or use something faster cutting? My current setup includes a beston 500, bester 1200 and Arashiyama 6k. Curious to see if the 500 would be too aggressive on the primary bevel. Could also just be overthinking this ...

I think you won't need the 500 all that often--that's for some more serious work.
I have the same three stones. In general, I try to maintain edges by (in order):
stropping of felt with diamond
stropping on 6K stone
touching up on 6K stone
touching up on 1200 followed by 6K

If you don't wait too long between sharpenings, it will take less work (and less metal removal) each time.

I would hardly call myself an advance sharpener, so I hope someone who is more experienced will chip in with more ideas

Wow this knife is awesome! Not only does is look great, but it performs great as well. I noticed a little wedging while cutting some apples, but everything else felt like butter. I was a little worried about digging the tip into the board, but there's enough belly to give some clearance and it helps with the accordion cuts.

Back