180mm petty or 210mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikyjr23

Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of buying one or the other. But I was wondering which you guys think is more versatile. I want to be able to slice meats like a terrine but also herbs

i think you wouldn't be able to get a lot of blade length out of a 180 if you want to slice meat in one motion… I am actually trying to get a 210 petty for the exact same reason… 180's too short and a 240 to 270 is too long on my space/board/station… so currently I'm using my 210 gyuto but, something less tall would be perfect like a petty/suji of the same length.

I would suggest either the Gesshin Ginga 210, or the Konosuke 210

Thanks for all your help so far guys. I think I will go with the ginga because I love how sharp white carbon can get and well $200 really is about my limit. This will be my first j-knife. And my second carbon knife R.I.P. My Bob Kramer that was stolen

Oh and btw I'm new here :)

I decided to sign up for the forum since I read the information that is posted here on a fairly consistent basis.

oh wow, that thing was probably one in a million, sorry to hear it was stolen

Well it was the swilling Kramer series. It was like 300 bucks so it just sucks but I did recently read on the forum about someone having all their tools/equipment stolen

I have a question about the 210 Geshin ginga. Do you guys think it's too thin to be used as a main knife?

I plan on using that the majority of the time for a variety of tasks save for maybe root vegetables, squash and the like.

The only other knives I have are a Hyde pare 7"inch Santoku and 3.5 paring knife, a 10" mercer chef knive and slicing knife

Which my German knives I feel are too thick. I like the Santoku but I really want something sharper than that ****** steel to use as a main knife. I also just moved to NY and korin does thinning for about 25 bucks so I was thinking about getting my chefs knife thinned

No, I do not think it is to thin to use as a main knife, with exceptions, which it sounds like you have a handle on.

Thinning of your current western chefs is a good option. 😎

I actually pull out my semi retired Ginga for pumpkins and other large dense items. That is a time when the lasery geometry shines.

I actually have to disagree. I have a ginga 210 suji and IMHO, its too thin and flexy to use on root veg, and if anything the laser geometry will make it stick like hell. As a line knife, its beautiful. Slices seared protein as if your cutting through a banana. I use mine primarily as a line knife and did i mention it being a silver skin beast?? I love this knife

Sorry, the Ginga I was talking about is a 240 gyuto, so much less flex. If I'm messing with anything that big, one of the gyutos comes out.

Anyone have one they could loan me so I can try out the length performance? With deposit of course to insure it's safe return

I find the 180 is the perfect size for a petty. (Doesn't hurt that it's a Marko). Thin enough for slicing, tall enough for dicing. I had asked for one with little to no flex. I used a Ginga 210 and owned/used a Suisin 210 and found them both fine for trimming and small slicing tasks but too short for most board work and too much flex for my preferences.

Back