Knives & Stones K&S is proud to introduce Mert Tansu Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Knives and Stones is proud to be carrying knives by Mert Tansu. As many of you may know, Mert is a chef based in the beautiful wine region a few hours north of Sydney. Earlier 2014, after visiting a well known local knife maker, Mert started the venture of making his own knives. With his extensive knowledge and understanding of how a knife should cut, and with a lot of practice, his work has improved quite significantly over the past few months. Mert's knife not only cuts well but also comes with very nice F&F: both the spine and choil are rounded, and both of his D shaped WA and western handles look great and are surprisingly nice to hold. I am extremely excited to be able to offer Mert's work to you.

We currently have two 240mm Gyuto, 52100 monosteel in stock, you can find them here:
http://www.knivesandstones.com/mert-tansu/

_DSC5101__41027.1421070761.1280.1280.jpg

_DSC5113__45691.1421121975.1280.1280.jpg

_DSC5112__59140.1421121982.1280.1280.jpg

Good choice James! Great to see you supporting locals :)
Mert you are progressing so fast, congrats to you Both.

Those look great, James. Do you offer a handle-reversing service on D-shaped handles for lefties? :)

Those look great, James. Do you offer a handle-reversing service on D-shaped handles for lefties? :)

it was glued in so i would have a hard time doing that, but I am pretty sure I can ask mert to custom make a lefty version :)

Mert does great work. Handles are very comfortable. Congratulations!

Very interesting knives indeed. Even the 'normal' one (thickness wise) looks really thin behind the edge. Can you tell us what sort of philosophy is behind the grind and heat treat? Is is oriented towards edge holding, ease of maintenance, toughness? The grid looks also relative flat - how is the food release?

Very interesting knives indeed. Even the 'normal' one (thickness wise) looks really thin behind the edge. Can you tell us what sort of philosophy is behind the grind and heat treat? Is is oriented towards edge holding, ease of maintenance, toughness? The grid looks also relative flat - how is the food release?

I have another of Mert knives. I can say the grind is not flat. He have been getting a few knives ( shig, Kato and others) and studying their grind. Not sure about these particular knives thou. The bevels on mine are very well blended in.

The thin-ground one is gorgeous, but the weight is listed as .6kgs, which sounds like 600 grams to me. Am I mis-reading it?

Edit: sorry, just noticed many of the knives are that weight, which must be a shipping weight. Never mind.

The thin-ground one is gorgeous, but the weight is listed as .6kgs, which sounds like 600 grams to me. Am I mis-reading it?

Edit: sorry, just noticed many of the knives are that weight, which must be a shipping weight. Never mind.

correct, it is just a rough estimation of the shipping weight. Detailed weight is listed on the below :)

Rami answered part of it, the grind is not flat. Sometimes it is very hard to capture the actual grind of the blade, and the semi-mirror polish does not help either. I actually also haven't manage to cut with that particular knife, and according to Mert, the new workhorse grind improved quite a bit in terms of food release, maybe due to the extra blade thickness / convexity.

Back