Quantcast
What knives would be good for opening coconuts? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: What knives would be good for opening coconuts?

  1. #11
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,487
    as long as you put de lime in it and drink 'em both up, it doesn't matter too much what you use to open it.

  2. #12

    Good Coconut Machete

    Quote Originally Posted by tschmelcher View Post
    I found a place that carries machetes intended for opening coconuts (or at least markets them that way), made by some Thai company called Lek. http://www.aranyik.com/coconut-machetes.html I'm thinking about getting the "CM1" but there's so little info available on this company's products. The Amazon page at least says it is 5160 steel which I gather is good stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Lek-CM1-16-5-C.../dp/B005E9DZPE I guess I'll just have to buy one and see ...
    Thanks, if you end up buying from me, please leave me a review somewhere... Amazon, Google, etc. so others may now the quality of the product.

    One of my customers opens up coconuts all day long for a living.. What does he buy from me?



    Secret to a good coconut knife is weight and width! You need to be shopping for something at least 1 pound, and at least 1/8" thick
    Last edited by Dave Martell; 07-30-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Removed link to sales page

  3. #13
    Woah, never expected to get a reply from the seller! I see the "NS2" in that picture is 0.4 lbs heavier so I think the CM1 is right for me.

    I have a question for you. If I checkout the CM1 from you on Amazon it says shipping will be just $5.49, but if checkout from your website it says it will be $17.70. What's going on there? Is the Amazon shipping slower or is the price just wrong? I'd like pretty fast shipping because I want this for a party next Saturday.

    P.S. I would buy the Perfect Thai Coconut Machete if it was still available.

  4. #14
    Engorged Member
    El Pescador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,904
    If you want to go over the top...I'd get a small guillotine! When I lived in Costa Rica a coco street. vendor had one and occasionally wake up in the night hearing the sound it made. Maybe you could find something on eBay...

  5. #15

    Before I Answer your questions!

    I want to know if answering your questions breaks any of Terms & Conditions of this site...

    In any case check your inbox.

    Quote Originally Posted by tschmelcher View Post
    Woah, never expected to get a reply from the seller! I see the "NS2" in that picture is 0.4 lbs heavier so I think the CM1 is right for me.

    I have a question for you. If I checkout the CM1 from you on Amazon it says shipping will be just $5.49, but if checkout from your website it says it will be $17.70. What's going on there? Is the Amazon shipping slower or is the price just wrong? I'd like pretty fast shipping because I want this for a party next Saturday.

    P.S. I would buy the Perfect Thai Coconut Machete if it was still available.
    Last edited by Dave Martell; 07-30-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Removed sales pricing

  6. #16

    Would love to see that!

    Hi, I saw that you have been around the site awhile, is it ok for me to respond to questions directed at my company?

    Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    If you want to go over the top...I'd get a small guillotine! When I lived in Costa Rica a coco street. vendor had one and occasionally wake up in the night hearing the sound it made. Maybe you could find something on eBay...

  7. #17
    Aranyik,

    You need to talk to Dave. Typically there isn't supposed to be direct vendor presence in the main forum area - The Kitchen Knife subforum, that is - and public talk is meant to happen in a vendor subforum. But if you want to answer via PM then have at it. Simply put something in the main thread saying you will answer via PM, as you have already done once here. Don't be surprised if some of your posts so far are edited a bit. It won't be a personal attack, but there has to be fair play with the other vendors as well.

  8. #18

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by tschmelcher View Post
    Yeah, young coconuts. I didn't know about deburring at all, glad I learned that! Going to look into machetes and cleavers.
    Well...definitely not a Nenox 240 yo-deba

    The guy that worked in the juice bar I used to frequent used an old carbon steel butcher knife. The bullnose kind.

    If I remember correctly, he still had all his fingers.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    Aranyik,

    You need to talk to Dave. Typically there isn't supposed to be direct vendor presence in the main forum area - The Kitchen Knife subforum, that is - and public talk is meant to happen in a vendor subforum. But if you want to answer via PM then have at it. Simply put something in the main thread saying you will answer via PM, as you have already done once here. Don't be surprised if some of your posts so far are edited a bit. It won't be a personal attack, but there has to be fair play with the other vendors as well.
    Thanks for the input, edit away, no personal offense taken. I understand forums need to make a living.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by aranyik View Post
    Thanks for the input, edit away, no personal offense taken. I understand forums need to make a living.
    That's very good of you! Just ask "dave martell" or "jim" about it, they can help you with questions regarding vendor presence. We just want KKF to stay un-commercially motivated. Heck, we had a guy from Pepperpassion stop by a while back and take money from us all by answering questions about his spices.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •