Sous Vide popping my sous vide cherry

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godslayer

Reaction score
So I just ordered a sous vide supreme. Arrives wensday. I am looking for a recipe to really showcase the machine and make me go I didn't just throw away $500. I invited some non believers of the magic of sous vide. Any recommendations? Right now im thinking sous vide bison ribeye with butter rosemary serano pepper salt and a dollop of anchovy. With sous vide root veggies. Finishing it in a cast iron pan with a cognac au jus. Essentially a sous vide steak aux poivre. With a spicy twist. But I'm also looking at salmon as I have some wild bc salmon I caught last year. That I've been dying to eat. Thoughts suggestions. I also need a vegan suggestion. One crazy in the group.

Thanks
Evan

I'm sure opinions will be heated on this one...but I would suggest short ribs or pork ribs. some kind of cut that generally needs to be braised to completely break down all the connective tissue and become fork tender. With the temp control of the SV, you can do all of that yet still serve it red/pink in the middle. I've done it with spare ribs, short ribs, chuck roast, and goat. Looks mid-rare but fork tender. An attention getter for people that know a bit about food. Some folks here don't really like the texture that you get from this process though. <shrug> will have to try it for yourself to make your own choice.

Those sound awesome. I can probably do that for next week. I read that recipe and died laughing. I've never gone over 6 hours and that's for duck rillette. Defiantly on my things to try. Salmon is defiantly a possibility.

If you want to dig around and see what i did and what my results were, I've posted a couple of different sous vide projects I've done, in this subforum. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

The 102F Salmon (chef steps) is a sure.winner as an spp. And it ends with overnight chilling period so your svs is available for main dish.

I wouldn t do salmon to show off as it cools down very fast and can be à l most as good in a pan and Oven. Good but not so impressive as nearly everyone experienced this Kind of result without any sous vide equipement.

Entrecote, rib eye etc.. work also some tim es bester in a pan + Oven.

Meat that has to be braised like shoulder work very good in a pot too..

I would recommend a cap of rump.
4 Minutes at 83 degrees C, 13 Minutes at 65 degrees C and 10 hours at 58 degrees C.
Cool down an hour in ice water. Reheat min. 30 Minutes at 58 degrees before serving.

Something like pink pigeon or simple chicken breast is also one of the greatest proof that sous-vide is unbeatable.
2 hours at 59 degrees.

Vegan:
1/8 fennel with olive oil, lemon skin, thym and Salt.
40 minutes at 85 degrees.

Cut a 1/2 réd pepper in Small cubes, saute it in a very Hot pan with olive oil, coriander seeds., sweet pimienton de la vera and enough salt. Add a Bit of grapefruit juice and reserve.

Cut little potatoes in thé shape you like with olive oil, Safron, enough Salt and (Tahiti) vanilia.
83 degrees until thes are done.

Sauce: balsamic vinegar with a micro touche of soja sauce.

Ps: very good with White fisch too

PS 2: if you can t afford tahiti vanillia, take bourbon vanillia and a touch of cinamon and cardamom, it gives more floral flavor.

I wouldn t do salmon to show off as it cools down very fast and can be à l most as good in a pan and Oven. Good but not so impressive as nearly everyone experienced this Kind of result without any sous vide equipement.

Entrecote, rib eye etc.. work also some tim es bester in a pan + Oven.

Meat that has to be braised like shoulder work very good in a pot too..

I would recommend a cap of rump.
4 Minutes at 83 degrees C, 13 Minutes at 65 degrees C and 10 hours at 58 degrees C.
Cool down an hour in ice water. Reheat min. 30 Minutes at 58 degrees before serving.

Something like pink pigeon or simple chicken breast is also one of the greatest proof that sous-vide is unbeatable.
2 hours at 59 degrees.

You should not plunge it straight into ice. take it out of the bath to sit at room temp for 15 min, then put in a cambro and run under room temp tap water for 15, then ice it down. This gives the fats and "juices" a chance to penetrate back into the meat before the ice solidifies it.

BBQ brisket deckle. SV at 140 48hrs. Chill, crust with rub and lightly smoke for a few hours.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1421366852.948125.jpg

+1 on the short ribs (my very first Ahh HAAA SV moment!)

I would suggest boneless (IMO easier/better presentation) slightly trimmed, seared (I just like them better pre-seared but not absolutely necessary), packaged in groups of 2 or 3 then into the supreme ... temp is very individual but I like 136 F or 138 F (for 72 hours) ... take 1/2 of the packs out at 48 hours and the other half at 72 hours ... into the ice bath for 15 and refrigerate (or freeze if not using in a day or so). Re-heat enough packs for your guests together at the same temp for 1 hour then re-sear quickly very, very short time (I like the Mongo cast iron pan supper hot ...) and serve as a sorta 'duo de boeuf' over whatever ... you get all the geeky SV stuff to talk about and the amazing pink color plus (as a side bonus) - you/your guests will learn which time frame works better for each person (adds to the dinner discussion) for a given texture ... ChefSteps.com is my go to but I also like SeriousEats.com (The Food Lab / Kenji) and there is always MC if you want a dissertation ... let us know how it turns out and remember - pic's or it didn't happen!

I like to make pork belly with soy, mirin, dashi. 12 hours at 65c or so.

Simple can be good too. Runny soft boiled eggs aswell as med rare rib-eye with a torch or cast iron sear are pretty hard to beat.

I did a 130 degree rib roast at Christmas, and it was beautiful. I finished by browning in 500 degree oven, or you can sear. Impressive to have a big piece of meat that beautiful pink color virtually edge to edge.
One of my next projects is to try a 48 hour brisket. That will be a Super Bowl offering!
Here is some of my motivation:
[video=youtube;p62vtYfjOyg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p62vtYfjOyg[/video]

I did a 130 degree rib roast at Christmas, and it was beautiful. I finished by browning in 500 degree oven, or you can sear. Impressive to have a big piece of meat that beautiful pink color virtually edge to edge.
One of my next projects is to try a 48 hour brisket. That will be a Super Bowl offering!
Here is some of my motivation:
[video=youtube;p62vtYfjOyg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p62vtYfjOyg[/video]

I was just thinking about doing a brisket...let's share research/recipes!

bsflag.gif

Almost everyone has experienced overcooked, mealy, tasteless salmon done with traditional technique. To get it right requires a little luck and a lot of skill - or the other way around. SV Salmon is reason enough by itself to own a SV device.:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

So the story goes, two KKF members had a fat 8 pound salmon, a new deba and an immersion circulator...

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1421455242.483545.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1421455337.169083.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1421455402.874758.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1421455453.178453.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1421455580.366975.jpg

Came out decent.

I still prefer the texture of a fresh well seasoned salmon filet hard seared in a Debuyer served medium rare.

That looks just about tasty Dennis. I've been using 122F if I'm going to SV then sear. Doing it all in the pan is also very good - esp when I get lucky...

Back