While I'm Waiting

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
My next batches of stabilized wood won't show up until next week.
So while I am waiting, I am making chopsticks.
It is mindless work that I can do indoors where it is warm and dry.
I have a bunch of sets roughed out. Now I will start the shaping and then the finishing.
In the past I used a mineral oil finish but this time I plan on a hard, salad bowl finish.
The woods I have roughed out are Silky Oak, Bubinga, Ebony, Bog Oak and Figured Maple.

cs001_zps43424630.jpg

Maybe I should start eating more Chinese :D

Can I reserve a couple sets of ebony?

I'll let you have 1st pick of the ebony ones when I finish them.
I haven't decided on the price yet because I want to see how long it takes and how they look when they are finished.
They won't be very expensive. I am guessing somewhere between $25 and $40.

Sometimes I make some for our gallery here but people end up buying them to put in their hair.

I am trying out a lacquer finish on some of these to see how they turn out.
From what I have read on some Japanese chopsticks they do a finish with multiple coats of lacquer.
So I am going to try applying about a dozen coats of lacquer sanding in between coats to see how they turn out.

In the past I had done the sticks and finished them with mineral oil.
But some of the pairs I had at home got tossed into the sink of dish water and the abuse caused a couple to warp a bit.
This time I am trying to make them dummy proof for my own sake. Because even though I know how to take care of them, sometimes stuff just happens.
s001_zps9c441026.jpg

The cold damp weather is slowing down the curing of the lacquer.
But, I have done one coat, sanded and applied a second coat.
The Bog Oak and the Bubinga have fairly coarse grain so I want to do enough coats that there will be no visible pores when I am done.

EChef and Guss2, I will let you know when they are done and let you have 1st choice.
EChef, I will attempt a square set with fine tips like the photo you sent me last time I made sticks.

You could take those sticks with you to King's for a feast.Lacquer?Have you experimented with any wax finishes?They look nice....

Mark, I'm less interested in wood type (though bog oak or bubunga would be nice). Sure would like a pair or two of square tips.

Back